Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharkat 700 Rebuild

Re: Sharkat 700 Rebuild

#Ok Pete, I'm no expert on cat trailers, actually have to build one for an 18' soon. But I reckon your centre bar or "fence" as I call it could be extended back as far as legally possible. This would be easier with OBs, but with the fence being the first part of the trailer the boat makes contact with, it should line up straight. If you know what I mean.

G'day Saurian,
    I understand what you mean, but not what I need ... keep in mind I have 3 tonne of boat here ... and if it is blowing 30kts while trying to put it on the trailer, then I need it to be self sufficient with loading / centering.

G'day Gelsec,

I did extend it right back.
    The fence sticks out about 400mm past the back of the boat when it is on the trailer.
    It works well and centres perfectly.
    First use of the trailer was on easter monday when it was blowing 25kts... it worked perfectly.

The thing I have to watch is that the fence goes up the centre of the pontoons. Outboard powered cats dont have that centre pod to deal with, and therefore they can have a closed loop on the rear protruding end of the fence.

I cant, both sides of the fence have to be separate ... I cant put a closed loop at the end of them, due to the fact that the centre pod would hit it when it came up the trailer.

I just have to watch that the sponson of the cat doesnt get in between the fences ... otherwise I am gonna wreck things

Cheers

Pete

See Wot I Meen??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by saurian
    but huge frame in middle is steerwith nuts poo.

Please explain (in english)

Yeh I'm with u, could u raise the height of the fence halfway up the trailer leaving a dip towards the back for the centre pod.
    When the trailer is half submerged and ur driving on only the higher front part of the fence will contact the hull until all the boat comes on, are u with me. Steve.

Yep Steve, with you totally.

I thought of that as well, and with a bit of mucking round I could make it work.

Only problem is, I can then have no extension out the back of the boat, due to the leg...

Toss up of what is best.

I will give the trailer a few runs as it is now, if it turns out to be a problem I will alter it again

Thanks

Pete

I have found the colour on another boat....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Pete
    When doing heritage type signs we often combine
    heritage green, burgundy and the gold you are trialing and they seems to go well in most cases
    cheers
    blaze

G'day Blaze.
    Heritage colours sound good. That gold on the stabi is nice. Being heritage will be spot on and come to think about it... may give a few clues as to petes age
    Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

Hi Blackened
    Any one that owns a boat (exspecially rebuilds) ages well beyond their years
    cheers
    blaze

How true is that .... I am aged well beyond my years.

A lot of it has to do with running around replacing damaged goods on boats (horns) created by others (blackened)

Blaze, I forgot how much fun it is laying upside down grinding fibreglass, with very little ventillation....

The minister for making important decisons put her foot down today and said "DEFINITELY GOLD"

So, me being the type of person to stand up and have my say at any given opportunity, and will not be walked on by others, especially with such an important decision to be made .... stood my ground, got on my soapbox and said "ok, dear"

So, GOLD it will definitely be ... now all we have to do is work out how to break it a little......

Not much progress today ... getting the overhead console ready for a "glass up" ... and started on grinding out in the cabin below the foredeck. The foredeck is softish due to stressing in the glass from regular traffic from by heavy peeple

Nothing major, just adding a couple more layers of glass to stiffen it back up.

Cheers

Pete

G'day
    Haha yeh.... definatly aware of that blaze. Those damn horns pete yeah... how' the come up? Anymore ideas on how to break the gold up? Howd the dash come along with the carbon fibre?
    Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

The carbon fibre panels are ready. I went to pick them up on saturday, but due to work holdups, when I got there they were shut ... so I will pick them up tomorrow.

Pete, How would it go if there was a post installed at the back end of the trailer, that rose up the outer sides of the boat. I have seen them with a roller on too. make them tall enough to see while coming on to the trailer. With a strong wind you could then use them to rest the nose of the boat on while you bring the back around to line it up.

Angla

I have tried to do a drawing.

Thanks very much Angla,

That too would solve the problem.

Cheers

Pete