Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharkat 700 Rebuild

Re: Sharkat 700 Rebuild

Hi Steve,

The boat was a spanner crabbing boat, which would ofter carry a tonne on the back deck. The pods would have been needed to help lift the extra weight in the load.

Cheers

Pete

Darryl

Was on a 23 footer thursday night at Moloolaba that had twin 175's on it and 800 litres of fuel tanks in the rear as well and asked this guy if it was boggy in the rear and he said no it wasn't to bad.(Had no pods like yours).

So i spose if you compared the weight difference 2 175's plus 800 kilo of fuel compared to diesel donk and leg might give you an idea Pete? Depends we your tanks are too and what they carry. I dont think you would need them as a spanner boat carries a lot of weight in pots etc. But hey, what do i know.

Darryl.

I think you are right Darryl, it doesnt need them ... bu tthen again, they arent hurting anything either.

It is something that I will make the decision on, once I get a chance to give it a good run in some sloppy stuff, also with a gutful of fuel.

Speaking of fuel, it has four separate tanks, but I dont know how much fuel it holds... guessing around 480 (if the were standard sharkcat tanks)
    I was told 600 by the bloke I bought it off, ... but he wasnt sure.

Any ideas?

G'day Pete,
    Love the new boat mate with a bit of TLC you will be the envy of us all.

As for the pods if you don't like the look of them what about glassing them or painting them some realy flash colour??? or just take them to sims metal and get a few cartons for them might help with the rebuild/refit stress.

cheers
    2rods

Darryl

I dont reckon it would hurt to leave them on Pete , i mean there not in the way of anything and can only help the boats bouyancy in the rear. #

Apology's Pete, it was 500 in the rear tanks (standard cat) and 300 in the front. It was the spit out of your cats mouth and was yellow as well, but from memory Bruce had two colours he used(yellow and white) in the late 70's/ eighties . I believe this would be when yours was made to???

Hey Grand,

Not bad. Can't wait to see the finished product. 15K is a good buy. Was it based on the Gold Coast, I know there is a pro here who used one very similar to yours.

As for the pods, I would say the previous owner being commercial used them for extra flotation, as i'm sure his catch each day weighed it down, and the flotation to hold the engine and catch would have been good piece of mind, and also allowed him to keep even more of his catch, and stay out longer. I'd personally call Wayne Hennig at Noosa Cat, as I know he kept a diesel version for some time to himself (may still have it), which his friend used as a pro boat. He would be the best man to make the call on the pods.

My only comment, from someone who has completed some similar projects is to watch your spending. 10K-15K can add up extremely quickly, and will push the boat back to the point of breaking even. If you go too far you'll lose in the end.

My comparison is another which is on boatpoint as we speak, a 23 harris built sharkcat with flybridge, all cruising amenities and twin mid 90's 175 Evinrudes for 32k. With some bargaining it puts this boat down to well below 30K easily. There are a lot of outboard cat fans out there (including me), but not as many diesel cat fans.

Regards

Darren

Hi 2Rods,
    ... I think the Sims Metal option has its benefits [smiley=beer.gif]

G'day Darryl,
    My cat is 89 model (supposedly)

If I leave the pods on, I will paint them.

G'day Boatboy,
    Mate, I am keeping a close eye on costs ... they never seem to end.
    I am lucky that I have access to trade prices, and can do all the work myself.

I love the outboards myself, and that personally would be my boat of choice.
    BUT, I could not afford to run it. It would end up sitting on the trailer and only used on special occasions.

The main idea of this particular boat is to have a bigger, comfortable boat that we can afford to run... and in turn , use regularly.
    Hopefully the diesel will do this, and we still retain the legendary Sharkcat ride and stability.

I agree on the Cat fans preferring outboards over diesel for performance ... but with fuel prices the way they are ... and not likely to ever get any cheaper, then I think there will be a lot of people looking at the diesel with great interest in the future.

From the people I have talked to, we should be able to run this boat all day trolling off the Cape for about 100 litres of fuel.

I dont have any fuel usage reports as yet, but it will be interesting to see.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,
    How many HP and what liters what name of motor?

Ahoj

Grand Marlin, keep up the good work mate, looking foward with great interest on your future posts.....

Hi Grand Marlin,

Had one of these donks and duo prop in a 26ft Glass Marksply, would cruise all day at 22knots and burn around 30lt per hour.
    You may find the cat will chew a tad more but should ride alot better.
    Also had a 328 Powercat with twin 165hp Volvo AQAD40, this used around 50-60lt per hour depending on conditions.
    The cat was an awesome reef boat, have many fond memories and countless nights fishing the reefs up here off Townsville.
    All the best with the rebuild mate.

Lee

Thanks very much Lee,
    That will be a good benchmark to start from.
    Lee, what sort of revs did you find were the most and least fuel efficient in the Marksply?
    What sort of revs did you normally cruise at to get the 22 kts?

Ahoj, it is a 200hp Turbo Volvo ... dunno the litres.

I filled and sanded the dash on the weekend, ready for paint.
    I will choose a colour today and give it a test run on the dash to see what it looks like....
    Stay Tuned ..... we'll be right back

Hey Grand,

Cruise at around 32-3400, max revs where 3800 from memory.
    Engine capacity is 3.59lt (220cubes), and engine weight is around 450 odd kg's

Cheers

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Grand_Marlin

Speaking of fuel, it has four separate tanks, but I dont know how much fuel it holds... guessing around 480 (if the were standard sharkcat tanks)
    I was told 600 by the bloke I bought it off, ... but he wasnt sure.

Any ideas?
    The yellow "Sea Rescue" cat is a 700 and fitted with twin 175hp 2/ carby Yammys. ( i posted a piccy in the "go for it" thread) It has twin tanks and the pervious owner said about 240L each. There is one on each side, roughly amidships.

The most we have ever put in is about 220/230L each side. I asked if they dipped the tanks (we have a dip stick) b4 they filled up ... and they said no. So i dont know how empty they really were.

Ours has 16 water tight compartments (8 per side). We had a leaking bung and the rear compartment under one engine almost totally filled will water. When stationary at the wharf you could see the hull has a slight lean. Underway the extra weight was hardly noticable re trim and handling.

Hey Pete,

Considering the work she requires,my suggestion for a name would be:

Cat-A-Tonic

Good look,
    Mike

Kiss-Cat----- Kiss- puss... lol

Ahoj