Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Sharkat 700 Rebuild

Re: Sharkat 700 Rebuild

Thanks guys....

How about yours Steve ... finished yet??

The 560 is done and came up a treat. I will have to get some pics up.

Cheers

Pete

No not exactly puttin in a new floor and fuel tanks!!
    Piece of C*($ thing but anyway.

nudge nudge wink wink

I have just fitted a refurbished DP290 for a little more than the price you were quoted including new A2 props, so the price seems to be in line with my experience. I also asked about a different leg (maybe later model) but the volvo man told me I would have to replace the adapter plate. I was assured that the DP290 handles up to 230Hp so decided to get him to source one. Havent had it out yet but sounds good with no load on it.
    Ken Mills

Spewing I cant see the photos from the start of this thread. The text is there but the photos are now absent. Is this normal?

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Spewing I cant see the photos from the start of this thread. The text is there but the photos are now absent. Is this normal?

Cheers

Chris
    Yeah mate - unfortunately all pics lost post server/msg board move/upgrade (Think ~mid 2006)

Mick

Well that was pain staking... I just went through and re-attached all of the original photos that were missing.

Now I can finally finish this thread!

Pete,
    Just realised I was only 42 when you started this thread!
    Tony

It has only been 4 1/2 years since my last update, so I guess it is about time to post another one!

Time goes by so fast when you are busy... too fast to be honest.
    The poor cat was just left sitting while we moved house, built the new workshop and tried our hardest to keep up with an ever increasing work load.
    There were a couple of earnest attempts to get the cat back on track, but my work load from Valet Boat Services always took over and the time spent on the cat was all but wasted.
    Every time I started, the cat would end up being left sitting for a few more months and the work we had already done (prep for paint) would need to be redone again.

The final straw was when my little girl Emily said "Daddy, why won't you ever take me out to see a Whale?"
    I looked at my Wife and said "I am kidding myself if I think I am going to finish this boat in my spare time, aren't I?"
    She laughed (sarcastically) and said "You are the only one who hasn't realised that yet!"
    There and then the decision was made to buy a boat in going order that would suit the family for overnighting and the boys for fishing out wide and ..... sell the cat

Within half an hour I had bought a new boat and had organised the sale of the Cat.

It was right about now that I had realised what I had done if you get my drift!

This was the boat I had always wanted, and now I had sold it...

I have to pause now for a minute's silence...

Enter stage left, the new owner of my Cat - Nathan, aka No Fear.

Nathan wasted no time in giving me his wish list ... actually it was more like a list of demands with an expiry date!
    Nathan also started up this post to track the progress on his new boat.
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...hlight=sharkat

We mostly had the same ideas as to how the cat would be put together.
    The major decision to be made was what colour.
    I was quite happy to go with the chosen metallic gold and black carbon fibre.
    Nathan agreed, then changed his mind to white, then to blue, then to red, then back to gold and then finally to white.
    I was a little disappointed that we weren't going ahead with the metallic gold.
    I asked Nathan why he ultimately chose white, not gold and his answer was "Because I don't want to get beat up at the ramp!!"
    WTF??? ahh well, looks like white it will be.

So, we sanded again and sprayed on some undercoat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

After three layers of high build undercoat went on, all the hand sanding started.
    Mark that does my painting is an absolute genius with the spray gun, and he is super fussy with the prep to get the best results.
    You dont realise how big this boat is until you have to go over it and sand it all by hand...
    Then the Dupont Imron 6000 Topcoat went on.
    This was done in sections to get the best result.

More Topcoat

Then came the antifoul, gunwhale rubber and the stainless fittings...

Next was the basic fitout.
    I will have more pics of this soon (forgot the camera)

Cleaning the tanks and setting up the new fuel system was a project all of it's own.
    The boat has four separate tanks, with close to 800 litre capacity.