Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Sharkat 700 Rebuild

Re: Sharkat 700 Rebuild

Yes Noel, that is the same boat ... a number of people have asked if I am interested in selling it, but I don't want to part with it yet.

Thanks Darren,
    Business is going well.
    It is such a shame (and very scary) to see so many boat builders / yards etc going under.
    In the face of recession, we are busier than we have ever been ... touch wood that it stays that way, but you never know unfortunately.

Dave,
    Thanks for the encouragement to come forth and spruik.
    I was going to say "come out of the closet" but I know where that would have got me

Cheers

Pete

I bought the 560 sight unseen from Sydney.
    This picture shows exactly what a professional boat surveyor calls "a minor soft spot near the drivers seat."

Rebuilding.

I used Huon Pine for the underfloor framework.
    It is well known as a ship building material because it does not rot.

It has all been glassed in and is as strong as.

The floor itself is glassed ply ... glassed both sides.

This is the actual boat and the new dash layout.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Niiiiiice one Pete.
    Out of the closet would have given me some scope( LOL)
    David

probably the best model 18' sharkcat ever made that one, except for the few that had pods (but they had some drawback as well) but that one was the best compromise as far as seating position, cab size, windscreen height, anchor hatch and access, they had it all worked out by that one, then scrapped the whole thing! Oh well never mind, now if only I could find an unloved centre console for myself at the right price, I would be set!

friggin nice paintwork on that lil pussy pete......................

hurry up and get that big gold bitch done, then ya can teach me how to catch those stupid looking fish with bills!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    probably the best model 18' sharkcat ever made that one, except for the few that had pods (but they had some drawback as well) but that one was the best compromise as far as seating position, cab size, windscreen height, anchor hatch and access, they had it all worked out by that one, then scrapped the whole thing! Oh well never mind, now if only I could find an unloved centre console for myself at the right price, I would be set!

How does that model 18' go in relation to the 23', i know that size matters but the 560 would be great little game boat with a pair of the new lightweight 90 Zukes. I see a guy is remaking them now in NSW and has added a wave piercer etc and is going under the name of Abcat (not to be confused with the WA built Ali cats) i'm thinking these could be a great little outfit that are nearly capable as the 20 or 23' ??

I reckon (and this is just my personal view) that the 18' Sharkcat has got to be the easiest Cat of all to just get in and go, even if you have the motors trimmed wrong, have no idea what you are doing it would be almost impossible to get one to broach in a following sea, dig in one hull in a stern quarter sea or almost anything else, they were/are great, and that model is the pick of them, now get that boat with some big Motors, (and some did have very big motors), give it to someone who knows what they are doing, like (say) and Abb diver or someone who has some Cat experience and you would be stunned at the performance!!

I must add, there is a dozen boats better than an old Sharkcat, for features and finish and so on, but you will buy 2 18' sharkcats for 1 of them!!! shame someone did not make a "delux" version that did have all the goodies straight off.

and OH again, I think the new Sharkcats are completely different to the old ones, but I could be wrong, I often am!

just got myself thinking (I know that is strange) but with all the posts recently about guys converting old Haines to Centre Consoles, I wonder if it would be feasable to do the same in one of those, I am sure that given enough cash anything is possible, but for a "home handyman"? I wonder

Giday Noel

As the floor goes right through i dont think it would be that much of an issue you would just have to decide how much front deck you would leave on i guess.

Out of interest why do you want a CC? And i'm guessing for comfort you would want a fairly large consol. Maybe like the old haineses with maybe a bunk/stowage forward. Having come from a cc there are certain things i miss but these are MORE than made up for by the cuddy, guess i'm just getting soft in my old age!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

well it just sort of "fits" what I want to to now, with grown up kids, grandchildren and a wife all wanting to go out at some time or another and have fish, a centre console gives so much more "floor space". The 18' cat has a huge console with seating/fishbox in front and seating behind (for me) plus the small seat between the motor wells at the stern,and it gives a great ride and stability for a family, to just go boating for fun.

Here is a 18 for sale. Shame it is underpowered- cough cough

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/shark-cat-6m_W0QQitemZ260398373198QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_15?hash=item260398373198&_trksid=p3286.c 0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

On song those motors are a weapon - anyone want to ask performance figures and pairs of brown undies statistics? Hmmmm Would cruise at 2800rpm fast