Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ATTN POLY OWNERS

Re: ATTN POLY OWNERS

Boyzie, well done on the purchase mate, I fish pretty well exclusively with braid and have a 4.55 s/c and have never really had line contact with the hull but I would imagine if you tried hard enough the line could indeed cut into the hull, not to worry though if it did it would take all of 30 seconds to fix with a heat gun (not kidding) I actually put a post up on PBO regerding fixing gouges and just how easy it is.

Cheers
    GT

I wonder if you can buy a Polycraft at a Tupperware party?
    Congrats on the new rig mate. I considered a Poly when I was looking around but they seem so expensive for what they are. Saw a big Poly in the Pin once that had the most clever name on it...."Microwave Safe."

Poodroo

I have a 5.3 CC and it is as tough as nails, its got scratches and its got marks yet it bravely goes where fibreglass dont dare due to the big rocks and where ally wont due to the swells ( hey pegusus). Dont sweat re you poly however heres some answers allready stated:
    RingPolycraft ask for Brad or Steve they are Champs
    Use a rod...... try a TCurve!
    Ring a plastic welder when you need one!

Cheers
    Norm

....I like the idea of Polycraft, particularly versus alloy and I have enjoyed this thread, but "bravely" going where "fibreglass dont dare due to the big rocks" is a bit far fetched isnt it...fibreglass is very tough. If I was worried by ROCKS in my glass boat I would also be worried by rocks in a poly boat.

My 25,000 litre poly tank has a 2.5cm base and lower side (ie thicker than the boats of the same composition) got major deep scores in the underside from dragging it accross some small rocks (ie size of a golf ball and slightly bigger) under its own weight - ie about 250kg.

Poly is soft compared to glass - that cannot be disputed.

The manufactures warn that even small stones can fully puncture the bottom if those stones are in the pad - with water in of course the weight is massive, however if I hit a rock in my 21 foot seafarer with its massively thick hull (70s vintage) with sufficient force to rent the hull, so too would the poly craft. If your talking small low speed grazes, there again, FG would scratch, but poly would so do also and it would look just as crappy. The poly would be treated with sandpaper sure, but each time you do that you take off meat...you cant do that too much. I dont know whether you would want to heatgun the underside of the hull too much! With FG you always add back with very hard material - FG filler, flowcoat or both - and end up with a nice shiny finish again.

So, whilst this is all good fun and allowing for owner's pride (particularly the pride that comes with owning something uncommon) could I suggest Mr Wong not to go making such brash comments.

Cheers

Speaking of experience i owned both .I pull my poly up on the concrete ramp at Carbrook .I never even considered doing it with my glass boat before.Having said that the poly was way cheaper .Thats what attracted me to polycraft.A rig that is cheap ,no maintanence,tough and practical.If you want a flashy boat go look somewhere else though.
    cheers
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

Havnt got any problem with that type of comment George....my problem was with the concept that the poly was so strong that it could take on rocks (!) which would thrust terror into the heart of a glass boat owner...

Cheers mate.

150lb handlines connected to big sharks will mark it but wont cut thru it, i know that for a fact. cheers