Thread: Boat damage, have u got it?

Boat damage, have u got it?

Hi guys i thought i would bring up this topic as my boat has inflicked alot damage. Most of it minor sorts damage but it all ads up in the long run. The worst damage for our boat was when my dad brang the boat to fraser and on the way back from fraser he was racing to get to the barge on a rainy day with the camping gear soaked in the boat and also he was against the incoming tide. He was in 4 a shock when the boat jumped off the rollers and toar a hole straight through the tinnie. What a drama. All the other damage is from hitting stumps in dams and also going on dirt roads when the boat jumped off again. Lots of dints everywhere.

She's all repaired for now and lets hope it stays that way.

Boat drama's
    Have u got damage to your boat? Lets here your story?

scoocer101

Re: Boat damage, have u got it?

About the worst I have done to my old girl was our last run before xmas '05,
    Perfect conditions, Ida & I crossed Ballina bar about an hour before sparrow-fart.

All was good until we were about a mile out off the bar, there was a bit of chop, so we were going slow, about 23knts.
    We came over a good chop & had full contact with an unseen critter, we think now it must have been a sunfish.

OH CRAP, we both nearly went over the windscreen.

A quick stop to assess damage showed nothing to worry about, no damage to the motor, so we continued on.
    It wasn't until we were on the Nth 48s, fishing, that we noticed we were taking water.

As soon as the fish stopped biting, we called an early day.

Back at the ramp,
    The bloody thing had pulled over 3 ft of gel-coat off the keel of my old girl & created a serious crack, which in the end needed a proffessional repair.
    She is all good again now, better than ever, but I hope we left the fish with a big head ache.

Muzz

Onerabbit,
    Sounds mor like a submerged shipping container.
    A Sunfish shoudn't scrape your gel coat off.
    A marriage licence should be like your fishing licence!
    Expires every year and you get a 3 day pass when you go interstate.

broke the back in my 20 footer, delamenated everthing foward of the cabin wall bulkhead, shattered the cabin bukhead, cracked the stringers, cracked the hull from the chine about halfway to the gunnel.
    reason
    caught in a storm, 60knts winds against tide
    come off the back of a 4 meter + wave with no back at all (coffee and smoke while waiting to land).
    About $10 000 to rebuild
    but wont happen again
    cheers
    blaze

themisses

Nope, have a poly!!
    You cop a lot of flack owning a wheel bin, esky, tuppleware etc boat. But on this subject we have the last laugh!!

Holy Crap Blaze,
    How far did you have to go with it in that condition?? I would have been freaking. Something like that would cure me of boating!!

Cheers Kim.

Blaze, It never is a good idea to surf using a boat - that is what surfboards are for mate

If the boat copped that much damage, how much of a beating did the crew get?

Wessel

Hi
    We got a flogging, ended up taking about 2 hrs to go 6 nautical miles to get into a lee of an island and from there it was a fair sorta run home apart from the funny sensation of standing on a bowl of jelly (the deck)
    55km from port. about 50km with a broken boat.
    cheers
    blaze

Blaze what sort of boat is it. Good advertisement for a boat if it got you home after that .

Camo

Hi Camo
    Theres a big thread on here somewhere , pics of some of the damage and pics of the rebuild. Its a hartley design to the best of my knowledge. I think someone in queensland turned a hartley upside down and made a mould off one. I owe it my life, thats the main reason I rebuilt it after the insurance company wrote it off.
    cheers
    blaze
    ps
    someone else must have some stories of damaged boats, cant only be three of us

Pitsta

Just recently pulled in to the northern ramp at vicky point , with in coming tide & northerly wind at 15 kn . I got speared side ways in to the pontoon ( Hard Plastic ) 2 lovely creases in the Quinnie was the result . Theres no give in the cushins What so ever .. Very poor design !!!!!

On a trip to lakefield I was towing the little old 3.7 tinnie and had an axle snap #had to tow her around with a tree branch supporting the axle,yeah bit of a dent here and there, bit of roller damage from the dirt roads,she floats she'll be right , fished for a week,great trip except for that but whats life with out a little wake up call.next time I'll carry a spare axle.
    #I came home ,first trip out she split in two places going out passed false cape, a quick u turn and a hurried trip back too second beach ramp, bailing all the way, made it but water was coming in faster than we could bail in the end as the splits got longer, and then had to get a lift back to tingarra st to get truck and trailer . Frigtening ? yes. #
    Welded and fixed, says to myself must get a small bilge pump for boat, so , comes wet season and barra on the chew, the storms are bringing them on, out flicking lures , it was raining #and pretty soon tinnie is pretty full of water , bail and still I could not get it on the plane for ages as I drained the boat , since then installed a Bilge pump , ready for the next wet and eyeing off a new 3.5m edgetracker or hornet in the near future as soon as the new 5meter is worn in proper.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Greg
    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day , teach a man to fish and feed him for life .

Yep I had it, Way to much confidence in the 34 yr old neice driving me boat, 8 knots.
    I'm looking in the esky and she say's which side of the big red pole do I go.

I look up see the channel marker and say oh just down the left hand side will be fine, Knowing theres plenty of water either side.

But that's exactly what she did, scraped the boat right down the left hand side of the bloody heavy barnicle encrusted Marker.

The side of me hull looked more like a cheese grater.

Oh well my fault. So took some sickies to fix me boat up.
    Made me feel sick to see it like that.
    A marriage licence should be like your fishing licence!
    Expires every year and you get a 3 day pass when you go interstate.

Had a 3.85 allycraft and was fishing jumpin pin. Noticed a touch of water in the bottom of the boat, didnt think much of it. After a bit more fishing, more water. So i said somethings amiss here, called it a day. Had to get back to cabbage tree pt bout 3 or 4 k`s away. Well didnt the water start coming in fairly quickly. It was a case of do i maintain speed to get back or back off and hope the water will slow,took the first option. The boat was slowing due to amount of water coming in. My brother was bailing like mad,about 100 mts to go the boat was at a crawl and the water was over the top of the battery box and about 2 inches before coming over the tramsom. Just made it back another 50 meters or so it was all over. Upon inspection a crack about 2\3s of the length along the keel.Took it back to allycraft and they said it was because the ribs of the boat were not flush with the bottom thus causing flexing.So they pressed it down and rewelded it,it was fine afterwards but always kept an eye on it. Not bad for a 1 year old boat. Got myself a Blue Fin 4.2 now solid unit.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!