Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Permatrims / stabilisers on Cat's

Re: Permatrims / stabilisers on Cat's

Fish guts,
    I had a 33ft Bayliner Flybridge with twin 5.0l v8 mercruisers (with legs) in it. It needed to be pushed to about 3500rpm to maintain a good plane. This was not a good economical cruise and also when the sea got rough this speed (about 25knots) was to fast for a comfortable ride. Suspected that it was a bit bum heavy, so fitted hydrofoils to both legs to help give it some lift in the bum.
    It worked very well, the boat was about to maintain a good plane at about 3000rpm, which was more economical and better for rougher seas. It also got on the plane noticeably much easier.

Not sure if this would apply to a cat, but definitely made a big difference to the mono.

regards,
    Jody

XR, Did you also have trim tabs or just the hydro foils?

Homer jay,
    Yes the boat was fitted from the factory with electric trim tabs, quite large ones actually. Without them i doubt it would have got on the plane at all.
    They were very effective both in sideways trimming and helping it get and stay on the plane. The setting of them was quite critical to the boats performance.

Regards,
    Jody

Thanks Jody. I have tabs on mine but still feels bum heavy and as you say have to hold too high a speed to keep a good plane which is just too fast in a rough sea. I think I might look at putting a foil on too.

Fish guts...... sorry to get off your topic, I know this had nothing to do with cats.

Decimator

more the merrier

jackster

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Guts
    thinking twice about them. certainly dont have a stability issue at present. only wanted to achieve better fuel economy by using the permatrims...
    when i said think twice
    i was hinting stability problems may happen after you put the foils on
    but im not going to say that out loud

best advice is to see your local prop expert and take his advice