Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Towing Speeds

Re: Towing Speeds

Question is when you are standing in the dock in front of the coroner, do you think argueing semantics over the wording should not or shall not is going to carry much weight?

I will advise people if you are using a ford, do not use the ford 2300kg hitch, because if you are towing over 1600kg ford state you must use the torsion bars, aftermarket towbars do not require them.

I also thought last time I looked at a commodore manual it had an upper limit of 16ookg regardless of setup, but my memory could be faulty. I know for Fords only auto's can tow over 1600kg, and yest they reduce the speedlimit with the greater load. We have 2 big trailers at work, one 1400km which is limited to 100kph (obviously only affects 110kph limit roads), the 2 tonne trailer we are limited to 80kph.

I don't think this is a legislation thing and probably (my guess) normal police aren't going to be concerned if one is below the posted speed limit. Scaley's and co go into these things in a bit more detail (mechanically) and might think differently ??

Really it comes down to operating equipment within the specifications and limitations of the manufacturer and this goes for any other requirements such as oil coolers, special towing equip etc.

And for sure I have no problem with pulling over where pulling over can be done safely but unfortuneately many "expect" people to simply pull over on demand and in cases where road shoulders/conditions etc don't allow this then impatient drivers simply have to accept this (even thou they might understand at the time) and wait.

Regards, Kerry.

Deiter, 50kg on the towball? Do you think that is enough? Ever tried it at say 100kg (minimum)? Normal recommended down weight is in the 8-10% of the trailer weight.

Regards, Kerry.

mick_t

Holden don't have recommended speed under the speed limit unless the vehicle is being run in.Then it is 80km. Looking in the VZ VE handbooks.

"I will advise people if you are using a ford, do not use the ford 2300kg hitch, because if you are towing over 1600kg ford state you must use the torsion bars, aftermarket towbars do not require them. "
    [hr]
    I Do not know why anyone would want to tow a heavy load without the advised torsion bars.

They make it so much easier to distribute the weight,and they also make it a lot easier to drive.
    EG. Better steering and braking.
    This is noticable even towing a 1400kg caravan behind the 100 Series Cruiser.
    Regards
    Seabug

Putting my self right in the firing line here and willing,
    I tow our boat with a VY V8 Calais which has been fitted with a
    2100kg tow bar. The rig is under 2t and I am very careful not to tow here
    when full of fuel as I shall exceed 2t.

I think this is a great topic, Shall not Should Not all the bloody same.
    Common sence should be the over riding factor here.

Towing our boat up from the coast I will sit her on cruise at 80-90k's
    and she will do it easy. I will say that at times I have taken the car whilst towing to 100 may be even a lil over to pass while I have the oppurtunity
    of doing so with no head ache. This is very very limited............

I have just towed the boat from 8 Mile Plains to Wynum and then to Capalaba using a Land Rover Disco. I sat on 80k's on the gate way all the way there and back.
    I must give a very big thanks to cars that gave me right of way whilst towing today. Safety for me and my passengers and the boat is very important to me. Over and above that I would hate to be the one responsible for injurying or killing for that matter someone else.

What are "advised torsion bars"......... Never heard of them.

Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry
    Deiter, 50kg on the towball? Do you think that is enough? Ever tried it at say 100kg (minimum)? Normal recommended down weight is in the 8-10% of the trailer weight.

Regards, Kerry.

depends on your towbars ball load rating, they are generally between 50kg and 120kg. Then you have to make allowances for if you need to tow without your motor on, that can add 20or 30kg to your ball weight when you take the motor off the back.

Quote Originally Posted by seabug

I Do not know why anyone would want to tow a heavy load without the advised torsion bars.

They make it so much easier to distribute the weight,and they also make it a lot easier to drive.
    EG. Better steering and braking.
    This is noticable even towing a 1400kg caravan behind the 100 Series Cruiser.
    Regards
    Seabug
    It depends on the setup, out tandem trailers at work have relatively light ball loads (80kg) for a big trailer, so there is no need for torsion bars for load leveling, and the ford setup is an absolute pain in the but to be putting on and taking off 4 or five times a day.
    Also you have to have a set for each trailer, or spend 20 minutes removing them from one to put on the other. Much easier to go with an aftermarket towbar that does not require them..

If your towing a big boat or caravan with a heavy tow ball weight, yes I agree, they are the best thing since sliced bread.
    But I still would not use the ford ones. (Also the ford bar is twice the price of aftermarket ones!)

Ferel, you have to have the correct amount of weight on the towball, too much is not good and neither is too little.

Most vehicle manufacturers and towbar manufacturers design for 10% max, that is the 1600kg Holden towbar can handle a max down weight of 160kg.

In Deiter's situation 50kg (~ 3%) is way to low for a 1500kg rig. Even 5% is still too light at 75kg but 75kg is absolute minimum, 90-100kg would be preferred (at least). The towball down weight has a direct connection (% of) to the trailer weight being towed.

Regards, Kerry.

Hi Kiktz,
    The towbar that I have is a Ha---- Rh--se .
    The torsion bars start square at the coupling end and taper to the other end where short lengths of chain are attached.

The caravan has cam arrangements fitted to the A frame.

In use, the torsion bars are clipped into the H/d towbar which leaves them at a downward angle.
    The chains are attached to the cams ,and the cams are lifted into the locked position.
    It is by ajusting the lenght of the chains that the tow vehicle can set to a level position.
    This is what makes for the better/safer travelling.
    All wheels have optimum grip on the road.
    Resulting in better braking and steering.

We were caravaning recently when a kangaroo jumped onto the road just ahead of us.

Full braking from approx. 85km an hr.speed and it pulled up perfectly.

Regards
    Seabug

Torsion bars come in varying ratings and are basically adjustable depending on how heavy they are hitched up.

That looks like a serious set up Kerry.

Can I ask what the big red "cans" are on the trailer?

Also there sems to be another "tow ball" beside the hitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Jay
    That looks like a serious set up Kerry.

Can I ask what the big red "cans" are on the trailer?

Also there sems to be another "tow ball" beside the hitch?
    The little "tow ball" that's for the "little" trailer

Nah it's actually a ball for an anti-sway bar, which is not connected and not visible in the photo.

The red "cans" are part of the braking (and break-away) system, vacuum tanks.

Cheers Seabug,

I kinda know what you are talking about. I am going to go and see
    a set at a caravan place and find out exactly what they are.

I too have had to pull up in a serious hurry, as a car pulled out from the shoulder on the Gateway
    This Retarded donkey (No offence to Donkey lovers) pulled out
    from a dead stop with in I would say 50-60mts in front of me.(felt like 20mtrs). Lucky I was only travelling at just under 80k's.
    Till this day I do not know how I didn't hit him but 1 thing it did
    show me was that the brakes on the trailer work a treat and the set up
    must be ok as I only felt a slight push from the trailer.

The Very best thing about this was the idiot took the same exit as I
    and I had a full light change of verbal therapy to absolutly feed it to this
    guy. Let me tell you I can talk and I did not let up..

Aj

for the little boat hey...... I thought you might have been trying to tow two at the same time!