Thread: HOW TO FIT A MINN KOTA BOW MOUNT?

HOW TO FIT A MINN KOTA BOW MOUNT?

HI GUYS. #JUST AFTER SOME ADVISE ON FITTING A MINN KOTA RT55 BOW MOUNT TO MY 4.1m ALLYCRAFT TOPENDER. #MY QUESTION IS.... BECAUSE OF MY BOW RAIL, WHAT'S THE BEST WAY OR HOW HAVE YOU FITTED YOUR MOTOR?

IF I DO IT LIKE IN FIG#2, RUNNING THE LEG OFF CENTRE FROM THE BOW WILL THIS EFFECT THE STEERING OF THE BOAT?

AND IN FIG#1 IF I COULD DO IT THIS WAY WOULD THIS BE THE BETTER OPTION?

OVERALL GUYS, #JUST AFTER YOUR EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE ON THIS MATTER.

# # # # THANKS BIFF
    #

Re: HOW TO FIT A MINN KOTA BOW MOUNT?

I placed my Motor Guide as per figure one, no problem with it!

I have seen alot just as figure 2 is and no one has mentioned a problem with steering.

Mick

Biff,

I have a Quintrex Top Ender and have mounted mine per Figure 2. It tracks straight and works very well. There is also no effect to the anchor well and bowsprit that way. Also much easier to cut the bow rail rather than the bowsprit etc.

Good luck,
    Jason

Thanks so far Mick & Jason. Guys if you are able to could you please post a few pic of your set ups.
    Thanks Biff

bump

Biff,

Here is one of the photos of my set up. It is a 55lb Minn Kota in the longer 54inch shaft length. Can't speak highly enough of it.

Got mine from Joel at Sundown Marine as they had the best price by far. I also got the quick release bracket which made mounting the electric alot easier as well as gives you peace of mind when the boat goes in for a service etc. as you can easily take it off.

While I was at it I got a 120amp/hr deep cycle battery and 10amp Minn Kota charger from Sundown. All up they made getting the package very easy and I knew it would suit my application. I would recommend going down there and having a chat to the boys, they will help you get the right gear for the right price.

Jason

Photo 2.

Thanks Jason, that helps alot.

I think I'll set it up like yours and I will head down to Sundown to have a chat to the boys.

Just one more question mate..... Just wondering if the unit can cop a pounding under rough conditions in transit the way you have yours set up? Does it wobble around in the head unit, or do I have to make some sought of bracket up to support the head unit when traveling.

Biff

Hey Biff,

I was thinking the same thing when i put mine on. But i have taken the boat over to moreton a number of times and come back in average conditions and the electric has not moved around at all. The black cord wobbles a little bit due to its weight but that is about it.

The last trip to 1770 I towed it all the way there with the electric on and there were absolutely no problems at all.

If it does move around alot and is bothering you, or the cord is hitting something, it is very easy to make up a tie down using velcro or something similar. Minn Kota actually make a tie down strap but i beleive it would be cheaper to do it yourself if you in fact need it at all.

Good luck with the purchase, i see Sundown are advertising them on sale in the latest bush n beach magazine.

Jason

Once again Jason thanks for your help mate.

no probs mate, PM me if you need any more info or if you want to have a look at it in the flesh.

bump