Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Engine Update

Re: Engine Update

Okay ,thanks for the lesson mate .I just made an observation thats all.Now just for the record ,im a builder not a painter,not that its matters.About that greg bryant guy ,why would i wanna know who he is? that puzzled me a little bit.I can assure you that i couldnt care less,if you know what i mean.Dont get so jumpy mate ,If you feel like to prove yourself im not your man as like i said i dont care.You ll learn that in time mate.
    What you missing is some manners and sometimes sensetivity in yor comments and i saying that sincereley .What if just what if if people out there who ownes and loves they e-tec .You hear the stories all the time that somebodys uncles heard from the bloke in the pub who been told by his mothers dentist ....so on and so forth.
    relax mate
    cheers
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

good onya manchild'

if I hear one more name dropped AAHH AHHH. By the way played golf with George Gregan last Friday (phone number and pics can be supplied)

btw kopey if I had the $ I would be looking at a Suzi 140 to replace my 150 merc

Alex

Okay manchild, glad to see you don't mind a difference of opinion, I'll take some of your words of advice on board, cheers. #

I genuinely have nothing against 99.9% of Etec owners, I'm sure they're just normal blokes like you and me, what I do find obsurd is alot of the sales BS that has flooded the market lately. #

With that is there anyone that could clarify these 200 Etec oil consumption figures? #

Waykel: 7.2 litres XDS100 oil per 100 hours which equates to:

72mls of oil to lubricate a V6 3.3 litre 2 stroke engine for a full hour straight of normal running.

Spaniard King seems to think this is normal, maybe it's just me. #

PS: Too much work and not enough fishing can make a man grumpy!

Kopey,

On the subject of ETEC lubrication, I dont have a 200HP, but as you know have a 90HP.

So since you ask I will try to explain a little on this subject.

First of all the oils used:-

XD50 which is a semi synthetic oil, and XD100 which is a fully synthetic oil.

The lube system, injects directly into the crankcase, and as such is not directly part of the combustion process. Because its not being burnt it can remain in there for a much longer period, hence using less oil. It will of course be 'used' by heat and friction etc.

As for the friction in the bores and moving rings etc, the cylinder bores are boron nitride-honed which exposes porosity in the cylinder alloy which actually retains a microscopic layer of oil, which is capturing the small amount of oil that is actually used in the fuel, and retaining it there aiding lubrication.

The control of all this is done by the Engine Management Module which is constantly monitoring ambient air temp and barometric pressure, and adjusting timing to suit running conditions.

As its been said before the ETEC is a fairly simple engine, controlled by a complex computer system.

Some would say this is a downfall, personally I like it, but agree if it was to go down then I'm in trouble, but its solid state electronics and seems to be fairly reliable.

Also you being a mechanic will know that almost all engines have EMM's now, perhaps just not so complex as the ETEC.

Engines programmed to run on the XD100 use 50% less oil than when running on XD50, being a fully synthetic oil it uses less of it.

My personal use I find that it uses very little oil, the tank is very small (wont even take the standard bottle which is an American gal, bout 3ltr point something) but if I'm running WOT for a day it can go down about an inch from the top.

So IMO Waykels oil consumption figures would be quite feasable if he wasnt running flat chat.

The 2 stroke oily smoke smell which standard 2 strokes have isnt there, when I got mine it was on XD50 and was evident slightly but much less than a standard 2 stroke.
    I now run it on XD100, and can hardly detect any smell, XD100 is actually a smokeless oil.

Maybe this might explain things a bit, without being argumentative with each other.

Regards

Ron

thanks again garry, that would hold for a conventional crankcase induction 2s. but if the engine is direct injection and the fuel/oil mix goes directly into the combustion chamber (that's why they have to use such high pressures in the injection pumps) then why even have transfer ports? why not have the bottom end lubrication taken care of by a recirculating wet sump? obviously much smarter minds than mine have figured this technology out but i just can't understand why they didn't simply make a 4s motor into a 2s (for the obvious power to weight benefits) with some electrical trickery and the removal of the valves and top end equipment. what am i missing here?

Paddles,

they onlymix about 1% oil in with the fuel to go to the injectors, the rest of the oil is fed directly to the lubrication points ie crank, bearings, piston skirts etc it is this oil (no fiuel in this oil) which gets sucked in with the air induction of a 2 stroke hence transfer ports. I think its the inefficiency of the 2 stroke ( exhaust stroke overlapping with the induction stroke) that will keep the 2 appart

cheers

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Great to see some more constructive posts Ron.

I think Jonnyrude has been around and making OB's for long enough to get it right with the E-Tecs. I know what I would buy.

Quote Originally Posted by KGW2
    I think Jonnyrude has been around and making OB's for long enough to get it right with the E-Tecs. I know what I would buy.
    [smiley=huh.gif] Does that mean they had not ben around long enough then with their Ficht fiasco?

7.2mL of oil to lubricate a 3.3Litre 200 Etec per minute in best case scenario doing 1000rpm.

You wouldn't want this engine to sit for too long without being fogged, if the bores went dry, with this tiny amount of oil going in. I spose the fully synthetic oil would have to compensate for that, shouldn't dry out like the old TCW3.

Still thinkin about these figures, intriuging.

This is what they call "new technology"

Johnson_Jack

Admittedly this is America, but Evinrude are offering specials with 7 year warranty.

Has to say something about their belief in the product.

Heres a link I found

http://www.nestorfallsmarine.com/etec.php

that's pretty impressive, 7 years. they've pretty much got all their eggs in the one basket now don't they? etec is their only "latest technology" engine now that the suzuki 4s deal has fallen through with them. it's awesome to see they are standing behind their product.

thanks for your reply too garry, i'm now getting an understanding of roughly how the di2s works

Have outboard manufacturers lost the plot or making bitsa's these days to fill the gaps.

Since the Suzzie 140 appears to be the flavour of the month (next month who knows ) there is really no comparison with the DF90/115. Not really a great difference between capacity 2044 cc v 1950cc for an extra 25/50 HP and slightly different bore/stroke but the 140 gets stressed to 6200rpm and is a lighter engine ???????????.

So at what rpm does the 140 develop maximum HP? compared to the 90/115.

The smart manufacturers one would think would be in the market to keep costs down? But apart from some manufacturers there is just about no 3 engines these days that use the same major components pistons/rings/rods etc etc. Is all this just a knee jerk reaction?

Between the DF90/115 and DF150/175 the 140 is an odd ball!

It's really a no brainer to make a 115/130/140/150/175/200 with common parts (pistons/rods etc) same bore/stroke etc as it has to keep manufacturing and repair costs down.

Regards, Kerry.

All I'm saying is that Johnson, Evinrude, Merc and Mariner have been around long enough to make mistakes and get things right..
    All I know about the nips.. is they make a reasonably good motorcycle... short lifespan overpriced cars and as for outboards.. we'll see in 20 years.