Thread: Moving boats

Moving boats

Guys looking for ideas on how you (if required) move your boats around (into it's parking spot). Ideally back it in yes however I have a tight space I need to manovure my boat into (5.3 poly) that won't allow me to back it in the parking space. It is too heavy (and too hard for me to push into position.

I was looking at a Muck truck (www.mucktruck.com.au) but at $2300 for a second hand one at this stage it is too dear.

Looking for other options.

Cheers for your help.

Fez.

Re: Moving boats

Buy an old ride on lawn mower, Me old victa 8Hp could tow me old mans 21 footer and she weighed over 3 tons.
    A marriage licence should be like your fishing licence!
    Expires every year and you get a 3 day pass when you go interstate.

if ya don't have to move it too far there's those ratchet style jockey wheels with the lever bar that caravan types use.

finga64

Put up a picture of where it's got to go and the boat so we can get an idea of the problem and possible remedy.
    Cheers Scott

Fez,
    Can you mount a trailer winch at the back of your parking area & winch the rig in backwards? You can then use the winch on your trailer to pull you out of your parking area if you have a hard point - usually a vehicle.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Boys thanks for the replies,

Roughasguts - Lawnmower would be my next option

Peterbo3 the main problem is that it will fit down beside the garage and side fence (with 20cm clearence) however it is a slight uphill slope and the driveway turns at a 90 degree angle making the turn impossible past both the fence and the corner of the garage unless lined up straight and there is not enough room for both the tow vehicle and the boat.

finga - sorry mate I don't have access to the digital camera yet (still in transit from Far North QLD) ahh the benefits of having a large yard in the north made this job easy. Oh well I think I will be chasing second hand ride on mowers.

Cheers,
    Fez

a mate made up a winch in his back yard I think with a washing machine motor and pullies. it was up hill and a tight squeeze to get up and just used the trailer brake and steered it with the jockey wheel on the way back down.
    I use the ride on all the time on my 11' tinny but doubt it would do my 4.75m tinny or the 5.3m polly my mower is a belt driven model.
    the draw bar weight of the boat would be of concern as to how you couple it up to the mower.
    Murf

If you've got a 4x4 with bullbar you could mount atow ball on it as some friends of mine did so they could drive there boat into a very simular tight spot, just a thought
    Ken