Thread: Trailer tyre flat spots

Trailer tyre flat spots

When I check the trailer wheels, I notice that on all 4 tyres there is a flat spot. ie the rest of the tyre is round, but for a small section. A bit like a capital D, but not that bad.

The trailer has always towed really well and there is no vibration. I am thinking that perhaps a previous owner had it sitting in the one spot for an extended period of time and it caused the rubber to form the flat spot.

I am wondering what actually goes on when moving and if the flex in the tyre compensates for it. This appears to be the case as I have had no problems with it.

Just asking as I am about to tow the boat up to Hervey Bay. Never really a concern on my short trips to the local ramps.

Cheech

Re: Trailer tyre flat spots

I had a Blowout on a tyre on our caravan
    while travelling to Ballarat.
    Tyre service owner #said it was most likely caused by leaving weight on the van wheels when we did not use it for over a year.
    Now I do as he recomended and put blocks under the axle if it is unlikely to be used for a fair while.He claimed that with the laden tyre sitting in one spot ,the rubber developed a "Memory"
    And that a slightly out-of-round tyre would hammer on the road causing fatigue and breakdown.

Regards
    Seabug

Cheech,
    I don't want to sound like a smarta*se, but are the flat spots on the bottom or at random? The tyres can deform if left standing for long periods or if the pressure is low. Are there any signs of hairline cracks near the flat spots? This could indicate sidewall failure. No real problems on short trips but a long trip at 100kph could be bad news.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Mate, might not hurt to give it a new set of second hand tyres.
    Those tyres could be already 25 years old by now and gone pretty hard.

Toss them for peace of mind, you might wish you had at 5:00 Am in the morning sitting on the side of the road, dodging traffic.
    A marriage licence should be like your fishing licence!
    Expires every year and you get a 3 day pass when you go interstate.

Well if they are only flat on the bottom...... just turn them upside down!!

One other thing to check was if the flat spots are caused by faulty brake fittings causing the brakes to allways lock-up at the same spot.

Regards
    Seabug

The flat spots I am almost certain would have been from a previous owner leaving it sit too long. I don't have the same problem as it is used every week.

Seabug, the flat spots are deformities, not worn so would not have been from brakes locking.

I think I will check out the local bob jane's and see if they have a set of 14'' tyres they are about to chuck that have a bit of life left. Couldn't imagine they would charge much.

Thanks all for your comments. Confirmed what I was thinking.

Cheech

Cheech, they might even give them to you. Be bloody lucky though, In Sydney they charge you 5 bucks a tyre for disposal some EPA thing. So they would already have that money from the previous owner.

As for the flat spot set, you might wan't to keep them for a bit when you take the boat off the trailer to repair the rollers and a touch up or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech

I think I will check out the local bob jane's and see if they have a set of 14'' tyres they are about to chuck that have a bit of life left. Couldn't imagine they would charge much.

Cheech
    I know we all need to watch the $$$$$ but I would dig a little deeper for new tyres, you don't know what your getting second hand. They could be worse then the ones you have. I picked up new ones for $55 on special.

This is what happened to me along the M5 (NSW) doing 100Km.

Cheech

i went down on saturday to the tyre place and had them put on 4 x new light truck tyres and they also checked my spare to make sure it was OK.

they didnt cost to much and also a piece of mind when you are towing .

geoff

Impulse 492f, was that tyre a retread. Bet it made some noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Roughasguts
    Impulse 492f, was that tyre a retread. Bet it made some noise.
    No it wasn't and scared the shit out of me.

The tyre guy said it was most likely a side wall porblem as the guy i bought it from hadn't used the boat for 12 month and was sitting on the same spot all that time.

You couldn't see any damage before the blow-out so it just goes to show you don't know what your buying.

As for the light truck tyres, my Haines manual states that you should buy radials as these are the tyres tested with my boat-trailer combo. I'm not saying light truck tyres aren't the way to go but you should see what tyre matches the trailer.