Thread: Honda 40Hp v Honda 50Hp

Honda 40Hp v Honda 50Hp

I have just sold my old abalone and 40 evinrude and am planning to purchase a 4.55 sea jay territory.

I just cant decide on which motor the honda 40 with trim / tilt or the Honda 50.

I sometimes run with three guys in the boat plus gear.

Is the 50 going to use substantially more fuel when running at the same rev's / speed as the 40 ?

Also will a honda 50 use a lot less fuel than my old 93 Evinrude 40?

It is a $1000 difference between the 40 and the 50.

Re: Honda 40Hp v Honda 50Hp

The 40 hp and the 50 Hp have the same specs.
    The 50 either has bigger jets or bigger carbs, anyway 1000 bucks be a fair bit of money for the perfomance increace.

May I ask why Honda, there be other brands out there with EFI and DOHC. I think in that size motor.
    A marriage licence should be like your fishing licence!
    Expires every year and you get a 3 day pass when you go interstate.

Go the 50 i had a 50 on a 4.5 went well especially if you are going to have a load. it was really good on juice

you kind of think "it is only 10HP" but remenber that the 10HP is 25% of the 40 so for the extra grand, the 50 is a far better option, if it is the same weight! I think it is as it is basicaly the same power plant. the extra HP will be a bonus at times when the 40 may "just be enough".

the 40 is just detuned 50 & as Noelm said 25% is a fair different...

any reason why you haven't looked at suzuki 50?

CHRIS_aka_GWH

it sounds like its the same block being used (common in outboards) so with no extra weight I'd go the 50.

Have you looked seriouly at a Suzuki 4-stroke - nothing but good reports that I've heard and cheaper than the honda - you'll save the gorilla for the extra 10hp.

chris

CHRIS_aka_GWH

thesaint can type 11seonds quicker than me

smart minds think alike

If you go for a 50HP then Yammy 4 stroke is the one. The Yammy has 4 cylinders and about 150cc extra engine capacity. If not then think again with the Honda because of the carby setup. EFI is the way to go. I have the 60HP 4 stroke Yammy and while it is a good motor the tuning can be a pain.

It never fails to go as big as you can afford.. go the Yammy 4 stroke top motor.

Strika.

It never fails to go as big as you can afford.. go the Yammy 4 stroke top motor.

Strika.

Hiace , I have had 50 honda & 40 suzuki, on 4m to 4.3 m boats.
    The efi motors are by far the better motors to use .( not honda)
    Check the various tiller handles available as some are better than others
    (if it is a tiller.)
    All of the new fourstrokes will woop the old evinrudes butt in a fuel
    usage test, then there is oil , noise, smell.
    Check the weights of fourstrokes to see which one will suit your
    boat.
    Notice i have not really mentioned a brand name as i think they are all
    damn good. Just research which one is the best one for you.
    Oh the 40/50 honda is only rpm , only difference that i know of.
    Best luck

Ta for the feedback guys,

I went with the Honda BF 50 and the Sea Jay Territory. I like the suzuki's but the dealerships here in darwin are not going to sell me one at the right $. Let alone even talk to me - I went in for a quote and was made to write it down myself on the ba`ck of his buisness card. I thought stuff this and went with the local Honda dealership.

I cant get over how quite the honda is. I Wrote down the pros and cons of what i expect and what i can afford and the honda came out on top. Also the honda is lighter which i needed for the max transom weight.

Hi Cruising,
    Just wondering if you could tell me how the 50hp goes on the Territory and what sive the hull is. I have ordered the haven sport and am keen to know how well the 50 pushes. Boat not due until January but BH Marine have been great.
    So any info you can give will be great.

I just purchased a 4.55seajay SP model. same hull as the territory.

If you have the reverse Chine hull(new model) then a 40hp will push it along fine. I originally was going to put a 40hp yamaha on. But for $750more i could get a 50hp yamaha. So i went for that instead. As i am getting a 60l fuel tank in the floor and carry lots of gear.

Generally speaking 40 and 50hp outboards have the same block. So running each of them at the same revs should get you very similar fuel ecconomy.

eg 40hp 2 stoke uses 18l/hour where the 50 uses 22l/h..but with 3-4 guys +gear in the boat you run the 40 alot harder than the 50 for the same given speed. So fuel ecconomy isn't much different.