Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Impact this Forum has on buying power

Re: Impact this Forum has on buying power

Not to long ago i purchased my second boat. It took me over twelve months to decide what i wanted and needed. To tell you the truth i Knew what i wanted but didnt know what i needed. So after numerous posts, many vivits to boat yards, much bull shit from salesman, and more great info from other ausfishers i made my decision and bought a brand new rig which i could not be happier with. Withut the help from all you guys on ausfish, weather an advertiser or a fisho, i am sure i would have bought something completly inappropriate for my needs. I guess what i am trying to say is there is nothing more valuable than information or experiences to help you when making a decision, and this site gives it to me, as said before sure, some of it is bull shit but hey, like the bargain bin at your local tackle shop, take from it what you want and leave the rest to someone else.
    col-s keep showing me those boats mate. It is obvious you are passionate and good at what you do, so why the hell not show your product, and if someone from this site buys a rig from you they will be sure they will get the product and service that they desire.
    Jewie

Col_S, It might be worth clarifying what I see as manipulative posters as you appear to have picked up on this comment.

I direct that more to the posters who are not up front, hide behind some dodgy handle while making comments that start to ring bells.

This is not the general style of a site advertiser as you don't hide behind some thinly veiled excuse, everything is up front.

Regards, Kerry.

Thanks for the feedback guys

I do not spend time looking for the advertisers, Only because i am not in the Market for anything at the moment ( Col i will keep you in mind when i am looking)

But i have read a lot of good reports over a long period over XXX product THEREFORE it must be good........true.

If you dont research your buy before you committ you are mostly at fault "unlike a lot of CH 7 today tonight stories that always portray the the poor IDIOT as the one thats been hard done by"

And you are right Brissy guy most claims NOT backed by the forum over a period of time are B/S

The posts by some of the advertisers on here showcasing their products is backed up solidly by boat owners that have bought the product and share their experiences with us all.
    Isnt that what being part of a community such as this is all about ???

Most of the answers are genuine and make sense thanks gents.
    It was only for my own curiosity and everyones elses benefit.

Cheers MARK

These chat boards offer us an insight into other members experiences and the advice they are prepared to give based on those experiences. Advice is only valuable if you take it onboard # Ignore it and you may end up shooting yourself in the foot. Therefore you can't really put a price on it

I'd take onboard any advice offerd and word of mouth any day of the week over a sales pitch #

Damo.

Value??? I think it adds a lot of value to the shopping process.

Like many people... I love to do my homework before I spend my dollars...they are too hard to come by. In the modern world a brand can be good one day and crap the next...no matter what it is. I am sure boat & engine builders suffer this just like every other manufacturer. So sites like this can sure add to the peace of mind when it comes time to part.

The biggest feature of Ausfish is the try before you buy...I know many people have hooked up with the owner of a boat etc and gone for a trip out with them.

It has sure helped me!!!

Megsy

Before you buy any boat you have to test in the 2 fth chop.

Troy

Sportfish_5

Captain_Starli

if i had believed all i read about my boat on here i would not have bought it, at the time it was not available in qld & all info that was available was 2nd hand reports that bagged them due to an accident (operator error not a boat problem) & a boat test that was just wierd, talked to manufacturer he was dumfounded, tester obviously did not understand what characteristics boat had.

i bought the boat 5 years ago & would not get rid of it, except to get a bigger one the same ( which i don't need) so all is not what it seems. hands on & actual owner info. there is someone on here, can't remember name, but in his mind suzuki is theonly motor we should have, i am old enough to remember them last time around, weren't considered the best then,
    Chrysler were bagged unbelievably, talk to anyone that only ran one in fresh water..

it's personal, & the best is the one you own or you would not have it....& you won't admit it's rubbish until you get rid of it & get something different, then it becomes the biggest pce of crap you have ever owned..

so i consider most info as just information to be sifted through, doesn't influence mme much at all.

bidkev

Doesn't matter how good a product is or how much it is talked up on this site if the Minister for Finance is pulling the purse strings

I did tons of research into boats before buying the current rig and read avidly everything that was written on this site. I had my eyes on a bar crusher mainly because I could get it into the garage. Then I thought that didn't matter so much and was really keen on Cols rigs. That meant nothing when the deckie came home and said that it was the Sea Legend or nothing.

She wanted something that she would feel comfortable in and no doubt Col could've obliged, but her mind was made up although she didn't like the thought of spending the kid's inheritance and neither did I.

Anyways, I posted here about the money dilemna and not one poster thought we should hang on to the money. It was what we really wanted to hear as up till then we'd never even spent more than ten grand on a vehicle let alone 80 on a boat.

So yes, this site did sway us, but not in the way we expected.

kev

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry
    Col_S, It might be worth clarifying what I see as manipulative posters as you appear to have picked up on this comment.

I direct that more to the posters who are not up front, hide behind some dodgy handle while making comments that start to ring bells.

This is not the general style of a site advertiser as you don't hide behind some thinly veiled excuse, everything is up front. #

Regards, Kerry.
    # #
    So Kerry at who rather do you direct your comment to???

I've worked as a marine mechanic since I was 16, worked in a dealership that had OMC/Honda/ Mercury, & had Mercruiser aswell, and gained lots of experience in the field aswell as regular attendance to service seminars.

I later moved on to rent out a workshop that is part of the Martin Marine complex and decided to work for myself not just for the extra money, but for the freedom aswell. We are located 5/8 Boatharbour Dve, Pialba, Hervey Bay in QLD and all are welcome to visit. I service vessels such as the local VMR, Adventure Charters, DPI, Marine Parks, Nomad Sportfishing, etc. Always been open about what I do, don't hide behind any veil as you say and once more don't make a cracker from posting and talking about something that I'm interested in and enjoy talking about.

If somebody can tell me something wrong I'm doing in the boating section of this Ausfish site then please tell me, and once more Kerry give us some examples of what you would consider to apply to your comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry
    There is a smattering of fact, a lot of opinions, some is absolute crap and other is well disguised propaganda and nothing more than sales talk.
    Especially the absolute crap you say some people talk about, that really interests me. Show us what you call absolute crap.

I really dont see why or how any internet site with its members can have any bearing on any purchase unless the members are not anonymous and are quite open about who they are and what they do.

The vast majority of people with strong opinions and convictions about any marine related product are for the best part willing to let other members know who and where they are.

To me that is worth its salt, the member not only gives the opinion but backs it with REAL life experience. I for one dont like internet heroes and am more than willing and able to let them know in person, this is how I feel. I cant stand people who hide behind thier keyboard for any reason.

Cheers
    James

Hey Kopey,
    # # # # # # # # #I thought you did all the suzuki work including fitting new motors for martin marine?
    # # # # # # # # #If this is so then you as a self proclaimed expert endorsing a product could easily be seen as an attempt to push a barrow for your own financial gain.
    # # # # # # #ie. # #Kopey endorses Suzuki-potential local buyer sees positive feedback and is swayed to buy suzuki-more work for Kopey=more money in Kopeys pocket.
    # # # # # # # # # Is this to long of a bow to draw?

Kopey dont get me wrong,I see nothing wrong with this.We are all out to make a living,but lets just call a spade a spade.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly
    Hey Kopey,
    I thought you did all the suzuki work including fitting new motors for martin marine?
    If this is so then you as a self proclaimed expert endorsing a product could easily be seen as an attempt to push a barrow for your own financial gain.
    ie. Kopey endorses Suzuki-potential local buyer sees positive feedback and is swayed to buy suzuki-more work for Kopey=more money in Kopeys pocket.
    Is this to long of a bow to draw?

That would true if he did not openly say what he does and how he got his experience, but he has and any potential buyer can see how and why Kopey made those endorsements.
    Also knowing a lot more about Adam than you do, I can also say he isnt self proclaimed but is factory trained and has relevant field experience with motors and boats that he has written about. He is a very good mate of mine and I will back him anyday.

Cheers
    James

I know nothing and everything I've written is BS. So am I telling the truth?
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)