Thread: POSSIBLE NEW PFD LEGISLATION?

Obi___Wan

POSSIBLE NEW PFD LEGISLATION?

Heard a whisper that certain perople are looking at changing the legislation on wearing PFD'S in QLD.
    That is, all persons will be required to wear one at all times whilst on the water.
    I am told that this is the way it is in Vic and Tassie, i must admit i did not know that those states had those laws.
    Can anyone confirm that these changes are being looked at and is it true that both Vic and Tassie have that law already in place?????????

Cheers,
    OBI_WAN

Re: POSSIBLE NEW PFD LEGISLATION?

have a look on this site, there are links at the bottom of the page to the different state and territory legislation regarding PFDs

http://www.nmsc.gov.au/pfd.html

this will be something like what they have in mind, and it's not a whisper, it's actually been in discussion and public knowledge for a while now.

As I understand, any boat below 4.5mtrs I think in VIC you need to wear a PFD whilst under way. That includes drifting and launching off the trailer if you are sitting in it. Personally, I'd like to see every states laws, both marine and road laws, made nation wide, so that if your traveling interstate, your still aware of the regulations. I mainly fish impoundments and use one of those inflatable PFD's for the comps and also if it gets a bit nasty out there. Doesn't take much to knock you off balance when its rough.
    My 2 cents
    Billyboy

Obi___Wan

Thanks for the info gelsec, been thinking about buying some of those inflatable types for a while now. It would prpbably be the only way you could wear a jacket and still fish comfortably.

OBI_WAN

I'm just waiting till they say that the manual inflation PFD's aren't legal. When you think of it, they aren't that safe. If you fall overboard and knock yourself out, who the hell is gonna pull the cord?? Might have to save a few pennies for an automatic version soon
    Billyboy

Obi___Wan

Yeah mate, i thought about that to, but if you had automatic jobs, what would happen if you were caught in a heavy rain squall or were hosing the boat out, wouldn't the thing inflate??

OBI_WAN

It's boats under 4.8m and underway, and in an open area of the boat? in Victoria.
    What's an open area of a boat? that'll need clarification.

Interestingly, in Tassie it's under 6m and under power.
    Under power sounds reasonable.

Sniper

a nationalised uniform set of standards is the aim of the NMSC, that's a major reason the commitee was formed.

$50/year to get inflatable jackets serviced

Fat_Chilli

double post. oops

Fat_Chilli

Quote Originally Posted by rick_k
    $50/year to get inflatable jackets serviced
    I was quoted $25 for mine #, you should find someone else.

This link may resolve a few issues with regard to automatic inflating PFD's, i.e. they have to be immersed in 10cm of water before their is enough 'pressure' not moisture to cause them to trigger (on some models).

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/resou...PY_MAR0650.pdf