Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: basic 12v question...

Re: basic 12v question...

not too sure about the 50hz thing, in electronics there is an old saying "you get nothing for nothing" so in effect, to run this "miracle" 555 timer will require power, in fact probably more power than you save by 'switching" off the lights 50 times a second, if you could get "something for nothing" you could just hook up an alternater to a 12volt motor, give it a spin and then the alternater supplies power to run the motor than runs the alternator, get the idea?? perpetual motion has facinated scientists and inventors for centuries!

Excellent point Roughasguts and the very reason I have both a total bypass and redundancy throughout the whole system.
    If a relay fails, I can easily piggyback another as the relays are rated much higher than the current actually being passed through them.

I have given alot of consideration to it, and designed mine with safety, ease of use and repair in mind.
    the only tricky part for me is all the PCB covered with silicone. if this board fails, I have to use the bypass and wait to repair it at a later date.

If you're going to use LED lighting and a have a bypass, make sure you have a current limiting resistor in series with the led's as you may blow them depending on the LED itself. I suggest a resistor on the positive supply prior to the bypass switch.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm
    not too sure about the 50hz thing, in electronics there is an old saying "you get nothing for nothing" so in effect, to run this "miracle" 555 timer will require power, in fact probably more power than you save by 'switching" off the lights 50 times a second, if you could get "something for nothing" you could just hook up an alternater to a 12volt motor, give it a spin and then the alternater supplies power to run the motor than runs the alternator, get the idea?? perpetual motion has facinated scientists and inventors for centuries!
    Noel.. at 5V this "miracle" 555 draws a maximum current of 6milli amps.. That's 6 thousandths of an amp. MAXIMUM. It typically draws 3mA 3 thousandths of an amp.
    At 15V these figures increase to between 10 and 15mA
    That's way better tna a globe!

You're not getting something for nothing with this circuit. And any similarity between this and a perpetual motion machine is entirely in your imagination.

All you are doing is usng the battery power in a much more efficient manner.

Happy to supply you a #block diagram

Jason

Jason,
    I would love to give this one a shot.
    Would it be possible for you to supply a diag and simple instructions, parts list etc??? I am no electronics expert, but I am competent with electrics generally.

How much do the components cost??

regards
    Mike

Actually I have a customer who almost perfected perpetual motion using rhe back EMF from an electric scooter motor to charge the battery.
    Very ponderous, then a large oil company came along with a piece of paper with many zero's on it so he would go away

True story, he was going to make a fully renewable system to power a wheel man (look up wheel man on the net)

If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?