Thread: is it as simple as changing carbi jets?

is it as simple as changing carbi jets?

i own a 04 50 merc 2 stroke am wondering if by changing the jets would i be able to get 2 60hp or are the 2 motors different all togeather?or do i have to do something more drastic and would it be expensive?
    to get the motor to 60 hp

Re: is it as simple as changing carbi jets?

Jets alone wont do it, you need to actually change the carbs for the bigger throated models.

They are hard to come by, and if you can get them, usually around a $1500 upgrade.

Often, upgrading the motor as a whole is cheaper and easier.

Ron

Hey Plat...

Rons right, you'll need to upgrade the carbs, and
    possibly modify the plenum (holes) in the manifold.

If you're friendly with your local Merc dealer, you
    may be able to pick up a couple of 2nd hand
    ones in good nick for a $150 each or so.

Outboard wreckers are another good place to look.

It won't make a staggering difference tho, probably
    10km/h or so faster top end, and a little better holeshot.

Harry.

been down this road lots of times, there is USUALLY more to similar motors with diferent HP ratings than "just the carbies" that is why when you just rejet or do a carby swap you get very little extra performance (though you do sometimes increase fuel consumption a lot) because there can lots of timing, port and head shape, indeed sometimes pistons shape is different, if it was just a case of jets, fair trading or somone similar would be on them for charging a grand extra (say) for some jets or carbies that the extra cost involved over the original would be peanuts.

thanks for all the info guys ,think ill just have 2 save some more money and do a upgrade the 50 pushes my 4.5 formosa at approx 48kph and happy with that but a lil more would b good