Thread: How do I get the leg off

How do I get the leg off

Gidday all,

I have an old 4hp Merc Blueband that runs fine but is not pumping any water, there are two nuts that appear to hold the lower leg on but I cannot see how to undo the gear selector rod or the water tube - there does not appear to be any access to these.

Have I missed something?

Cheers
    Wal.

Re: How do I get the leg off

just above the prop, on the bottom side of the cav plate is a little screen. there is a nut under there
    cheers
    blaze

Hi Wal555

Didn't these have a mild steel, Not Stainless shaft that rusts / seizes up under the motor and are not easy if they havn't been off for a while.

Had a 5hp for a very short time

Sorry not much help, but have you thought about trading it in?

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Pitsta

Try a big rubber mallet may be seized like Blaze said ...

Mark

may well be siezed but make sure all the bolts are out first, the shfts do rust in the old girls. I find a block of wood (hit wood with hammer) better than a rubber mallet as there iss too much bounce in a rubber hammer, make sure the block of wood is not on the out side of the cav plate but hard up against the leg but also flat onto the cav plate. From memory (not good any more) there is nothing to release for the water pump tube or the gear selector.
    Best of luck
    They were a good old motor, last one I had, had a great deep gouge down the cyclinder wall but still went first pull
    cheers
    blaze

A Blueband Did you know there is enough stray current coming out of these old mercs to detonate a shot?

BaysideMarine

Your not helping Kerry...

finga64

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry
    A Blueband Did you know there is enough stray current coming out of these old mercs to detonate a shot?
    Is that why mine goes so well...

BaysideMarine

Plenty of bluebnd engines still running strong....

In fact (and most people won't know this) Mercury was still producing replacment powerheads for blueband engines until approx 1989!!.....

They were built with the technology of present day but where built into a package that still catered for distributor ignition (pre 1980) as well as ADI ignition (Alternator Driven Ignition).

Its important to remember that 2 stroke outboards run on roller bearings and the lubrication comes from the fuel or the oiling system and therefore are essentially a low wearing engine.

What kills 2 stroke engines is the introduction of water anywhere along the process as it will destroy bearings and crankshaft surfaces.

Cheers

finga64

Mine is a 90hp version with the 2 switch boxes. No distributor.
    The "Tower Of Power"
    It would take a fair bit for me to get rid of it as well. It has a lot of oomph when I hit the throttle, cosmetically extremely good looking and I like the simplicity of it.
    That reminds me I have to change the top and bottom seals this x-mas
    Go the old blue bands

BaysideMarine

Top seals are not usually a problem Finga, but the bottom seals are.

You may need a speedy sleeve if the crankshaft sealing surface is grooved.

Dunno if your aware but there is spavce to fit 3 seals (rather than 2) in the bottom bearing housing.

Cheers

finga64

Quote Originally Posted by BM
    Top seals are not usually a problem Finga, but the bottom seals are.

You may need a speedy sleeve if the crankshaft sealing surface is grooved.

Dunno if your aware but there is spavce to fit 3 seals (rather than 2) in the bottom bearing housing.

Cheers
    Thanks mate. I have a box full of seals (usually get one or two spare just in case that mongrel Murphy is about), an engine lifter, a lifting nut for the top of the crank, a shed and a mechanic of a brother that is coming to go fishing. I just haven't told him fishing is AFTER doing the seals and stuff
    Thanks for the heads up about the speedy sleeve. Last time we could beleive how nice the crank was considering where it lives and we didn't know the last time someone even saw the bottom of the crank. The bearing shop isn't far away (only 50kms ) so all should be sweet.
    While the 'power head' is off we'll also do the water jackets. I have some new jackets and gaskets ready to bung in #
    The seals we do every 5 years and the jackets every 2. Just to be on the safe side.

Thanks to everybody who contributed, I have taken all your advice and with little effort the lower leg is off. The impeller is shreaded in three pieces and the local dealer has assured me that they can order one in.
    Given that the shaft is plain steel there was very little rust - maybe its only ever been used in fresh water.

Thanks to all agin.

Wal.

Put some marine grease on the shaft before you put it back together.
    You may have to take it off again one day.
    A marriage licence should be like your fishing licence!
    Expires every year and you get a 3 day pass when you go interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry
    Why would you want a gun Kerry? Is this just another barrel of fish to you??