Thread: Iluka - Yamba

Iluka - Yamba

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 17:43 Post subject: Iluka - Yamba Bar crossing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To all,

will be heading to iluka next week to do some camping just want to know if anyone who crosses the bar at the end of the clarence river can offer any advise..

Ps.. Dont be shy to give me a yell if you see me out and about..

Regards
    Honda

Re: Iluka - Yamba

Crossing any bar your best to talk to the locals and contact the local VMR for the best advice. We are going to Iluka on the 30th and will be in the same situation. Should be interesting...

Cheers
    Crazy

where are you staying, at woody or in iluka it self ? woody head is a great place to launch you need a 4wd though , there is no bar to nogotiate just drops straight into shark bay, will be busy though at xmas especially if the macks are about, ill be staying at the oldies holiday shack from boxing on so i may see you out on the water.

Boodo,

mate staying at the anchorage park, boats a tad on the large size for launching off the beach, will be go down for a spin on the beach with the kids..

Mate give us a yell if you see me out and about may be able to catch up for a beer.. will be down for a couple of weeks.

Regards
    Honda

Hi Honda,
    Good bar bar to cross in good to reasonble conditions. It has deeper water on the south side and a big sand bar out the back in the middle that runs quite a distance out. Stick to the south unless the sea is like a mill pond and you will be ok. It is a big river so it has a very fast runout tide so avoid runout and noreasters. Watch the trawlers go out in the afternoon and you will see where to go.
    Some good reefs down south around Angourie (about 10k) or about a 15-20krun north to south evans reef.
    Regards Wayne