Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Allison 244 Ocean Angler

Re: Allison 244 Ocean Angler

Am I reading things funny Smithy, or was all that based on a hull that was Eleven years old?

Personally I think (and this isn't directed at you Smithy) That to write an
    accurate report I think Peter Webster should get off his derriere and get out on the boat Today. I have nothing but high praise for Allison and I think like
    most boat owners they go for what they know and and what they like.

I would love to hear from Allison owers if they would up grade to another
    Allison or to another brand of boat????

I can't honestly being that much difference between the 195 and the 244.

Aj

1995? Yes that was quite a ways ago? Now not even these sites existed back then

hey kiktz I know two people who have had them and would never have another, including a pro Crabber who knows boats and driving, his was one of the "dogs I have been in, but I am sure there are lots who love them.

Kiktz

I would certainly consider buying another allison if i was in the market but if i was to up grade to another boat, i would be looking at a cruize craft or one of the cats.

Hey Noel,
    I know what our boat would run like with out Tabs. I just wonder
    if these boats were tested with or with out tabs. I would be the first to say and speaking of our own craft that it would run like a big dog with out tabs.

Black Jack,

I have been out on my mates 7m cat a few times and I would have one of
    them firmly in my sites.

Merry Christmas All

Aj

the crabber did not have tabs , I have been in it lots of times, if you where sie onto the wind, it would just "SMACK" down on its side every wave, he had it for a year or so and got rid of it, ended up with an old 23 foot Haines, never looked back, the smaller one (I think 17 footish) had a similar problem, but it would 'fall" onto it's side, then zip off at right angles (almost) that was exciting I can tell you.

Noel, Its sounds like Undie Marking Fun to Me.

Sportfish_5

Gibbo

I have a July/August 04 edition of Australian Propeller magazine that has a 4 page test on the 244.
    Drop me a PM with your email if you want me to scan a copy of it. Barry Tyler did the test and had only positive things to say but I don't think I have ever read one from him where he bags anything

Sorry guys but that boat don't look any different than the one in Webster's test.

Cheers

Greg

G'day guys, have been seriously considering an ocean angler 244 as my next upgrade, do like the sheer size of the deck area esp over the HH680 just reviving this post to see if anyone can contribute some more input since last post back 06. thanks Brent

I have had a few trips out in an Ocean Angler 244 when I was considering buying one.
    Ride was Ok but was disappointing for the size. Boat had Trim tabs and single Mercury 225 set up.
    My overall impression was it was a boat not to buy.

A good mate of mine has a 244 and he is very happy with its performance overall. He has had many boats over the years both mono and multihull up to around 30ft.

He repowered around a year or 2 ago from twin 115 Johnos from memory to a single Optimax. Can't recall which engine but 200hp minimum. He did have some setup issues and prop issues and it was eventually resolved to be near perfect.

I think he has it up for sale presently (he and I are in Vic) and he is looking for a 34 Randell flybridge.

Cheers

EDIT: Just searched Boatpoint and found his ad.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...aspx?R=8204784

Give Pat from Bluefin Sports at Rockhampton QLD a call.
    He has, or had 12 mths ago, a 244.
    I'm sure he had a single 250 yammy 4s on the stern.

Has had it for a while...owning a boat shop you'd reckon he'd know what he was doing...?!

I never been in it but he does some hard core fishing out of it covering big miles.