Thread: DEVIL CAT BOATS

DEVIL CAT BOATS

Guys,

not sure if anyone has posted about this topic before, but just wondering if anyone has any experience in these boats. Whether the website claims are justified. Also there is one for sale on boat point, reasonable price down south. Would it be worth while consdering one of these amongst all of the other cat brands out there.

andrew

Re: DEVIL CAT BOATS

G'day Andrew,

The Devil Cats are a good boat, and will do anything the same size shark cat will do.

Only problem is, they are a very wet boat ... just seem to throw a lot of water over the front.

That cat you are referring to has been for sale for ages for some reason ... I think the price should be mid - high twenties ... not mid thirties.

Devil Cat has been bought out, and has relocated from Hobart to Sydney.

It will be interesting to see what changes get made.

Cheers

Pete

yep I agree, the one on boatpoint is a tad over priced, been in one a few times and they go OK, no real dramas.

Ive been out on one around the 7m mark. It was one from the NSW Waterways Authority (now Maritime).

They were using the Devil Cats in the late 1990's.
    They pop up on boat point every now and then. You can normally pick the ex Waterways ones as they normally have the full lock up wheelhouse.

I do remember a bit of water being thrown on the screen, and this was only in moderate weather. Mind you were were only doing 14-17 knots and the ride was very smooth at that speed. More speed may have stopped the spray coming back

have looked on their website, which isnt much of a website. And they claim to be softer riding, and drier. With no misting of the engines??? But then again I think the marketing was from the 80's when the boats were first introduced. I think the inflated price GM is due to all the extra equipment on that boat.

andrew

youngfisho , Tassie ab divers use them.
    Might be wet but they still get to work & back.
    I agree with marlin price seems high .
    Still not a bad option if you can get a reasonably priced one.
    Ta.

Pedro

Many moons ago at the Brissy boat show I had a look at one and was told they were the original Bruce Harris Shark Cat mould revamped and renamed.
    Regards
    Pedro

not too sure about that, they SEEM to be quite a bit different to the old cats, but who knows maybe.

they seem to have a higher tunnel and the hull starts more to the bow than the shark cat, giving it more of a planning surface up front. The hull to the stern has a rounded profile as opposed to a flat or vee of the shark cat. (When comparing a 18 foot shark cat and 5.5m devil cat).

andrew

Pedro

You were given a bum steer there definately not a shark cat mould.

Strahan police here has a 21 ft cat...great sea boat...been for several rides in it....not as good as the noosa cats...but close to it...

I have been on a 23 footer over the Noosa bar several times. Also fished in it from Bribie to flinders reef. We sent huge amounts of water over the canopy a couple of times while crossing the bar.

They appered to be a heavy cat and this one also seemed to be very thirsty with 2 x 115 HP.

The boat always rode well except for a following sea when seas were rough. As a fishing platform, there seemed to be heaps of room

Chris