Thread: Merc or Yamaha

Bigger-benny

Merc or Yamaha

Getting a new boat , motor package but not sure which way to go with the motor.Will be 15-20hp and just looking for the pro,s and cons on each motor.Any experiences or feedback would be good.Cheers Ben.

Re: Merc or Yamaha

G'day
    Ok, what sized boat, 2 or 4 stroke, tiller steer?

With both the mercs and yamah's, they're both very good very honest engines.

You cannot go wrong wither either.

In some models they do share each others parts so have a look at that aswell.

Generally the engine with bigger cubic capacity in any given horsepower will be the better performer. This is of course subject to style of induction and final gear ratios and props and the like,.

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

I had a 10hp Mercury SeaPro for 13 years and it never missed a beat, the guy who has it now reckons its still going strong. Had it on a 12 ft tinnie. I've now got a Yam 80 4stroke on a somewhat bigger rig and its going a treeat as well.
    Both are good brands, I'd either toss a coin or just go for the best deal.

both good motors take your pick

kleyny

six in one 1/2 a dozen in the other
    got me a merc.
    mate has him yamy so far so good on both
    ( both 2 stroke)

neil

I've had a 70hp yamaha and now a 150hp Mariner/Merc.

Both are basic carb 2 strokes and have been good but the yamaha was a far sweeter motor in terms of starting, smoothness and general quality.

If the price was similar I'd go the yammy but if the merc was substantialy cheaper I'd be happy with it.

Service parts for the merc are cheaper than yammy and the merc is probably better supported by more dealers.

Cheers Mark

Bigger-benny

what about a honda ?????