Thread: pull start help needed

pull start help needed

G'day all
    I have a 9.9hp jono 88model, with pull start. I took it out on Saturday for a run and the recoil for the rope didn't recoil. just kept pulling out every time I started the motor.
    I know that there so many experts on this site I'm sure someone hae the know how to walk me through fixing the spring and reloading the cord.
    I took the unit off the motor and tried to just wrapping the cord back on without any luck I tried to wind the cord on using the the unit while still on the motor.
    So guys please help me out
    Aussiefool
    Andrew
    Rainbow Trout is NOT skittle flavoured fish.........

Re: pull start help needed

The coil return spring is probably broken, on the first 90 deg bend, there ain't no real saving it you know.

You can pull apart, and pull the busted bit out and re-bend a bit of the spring so it fits in the retainer, but it's not very sucesful.

Anyway if your going to pull it apart very carefull does it. them springs even when busted., are a loaded coil and will slice your fingers Etc when released. Ouch been there once or twice.

In other words a new spring is in order me thinks.
    A marriage licence should be like your fishing licence!
    Expires every year and you get a 3 day pass when you go interstate.

thanks mate was thinking along those lines myself but though I'll try here first
    Aussiefool
    Andrew

the spring is quite easy to replace, not a real lot of tension on them, because they only need enough 'power" to wind rope back up, best pull it to bits, have a look to make sure it is broken ( bet it will be) get a new one from your "local" then replace, if any dramas, post again and help will be on its way, or take it to the repairer after you remove it, will save a few dollars (not many) to take it off your self.

Consider also while it is apart to replace the original cord with spectra?? yachting rope/cord, forget the marketing names ATM but it will then outlast the motor, forget also how many broken original cords I have seen.

cheers fnq

Mate try here it's for older model motors but I dont think they would of changed much.After all looks like the same starter setup as my briggs & stratton lawnmower.
    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/...x/09/index.htm

Thanks guys, I pulled it apart and had a look and all that I could see wrong with it was that the end had pulled out of the stop.The cord is not the original as it is thick and not worn at all

We had the same problem with our old 9.9 johno, a couple of times actually.
    A fairly common problem with these motors unfortunatly.
    The best solution for it is to not not pull the cord too hard when your starting the motor up.

cheers Jono

Quote Originally Posted by fishin_till_late
    The best solution for it is to not not pull the cord too hard when your starting the motor up.

cheers Jono

That's not a prob, usally starts easy enough even when cold and with a buggered sholder that slows me down a bit aswell
    thanks again to all that replied
    Aussiefool
    Andrew