Thread: hour metre rewind

kleyny

hour metre rewind

does anyone know if it is possible to rewind hour metres.
    before anyone is thinking something fishy is going on. my two lovely grommets thought it would be cool to play boats after one of my trips and left the ignition on > > >
    so the metre should have 55 it now has 115
    on an up side my deep cycle battery lasted 60 hrs before it went flat

so if anyone can help me it would be appreciated

neil

Re: hour metre rewind

Don't know try reversing the wires, on the hour meter hopfully it will go backwards.

If all else fails disconect it for the next hundred or so hours.
    A marriage licence should be like your fishing licence!
    Expires every year and you get a 3 day pass when you go interstate.

they canot be rewound to my knowlege probly one of the most arsked questions to dealers etc

You could buy a new one and leave it connected for 55 hours, - probably the most expensive solution.

Whichway

Hey Honkey, welcome to the club. My Merc also has 100+ hrs of shed time on it.

I also would be interested to know if anyone has tried changing over the wires.

My concern is if there is an anti-reverse pawl in the gauge it could burn out.

Willdoe

Might only have a diode in there so the power won't hook up backwards.

Get the old screw drivers out and take a look, hook it up to a little 9 volt smoke detector battery and find out.

But really they shouldn't be hooked up to the ignition, find a wire that is only live when the motor is running.

kleyny

my concern with reversing the wires is if it has a diode or msomething similar will it burn out?
    a big if as i would rather not buy a newy.
    if i do disconnect it how do i know how many hrs i have done. as you all know 5 hrs of fishing is not 5hrs of engine time more like 1.5-2 on average.

come on some has to of done this before. speak up or foreva hold your hrs
    can i disconnect the gears and manually wind it back???
    some dodgy cars dealers have been known to do it this way > >

neil

If it has got a diode, out with the soldering iron and remove it, do the reverse wires bit then solder the diode back in.

Maybe this should also be posted in electronics, those fella's should know how to do it.

Ausfish Bronze Member

I did the same thing (left the switch on over a weekend). All I did was write down the hours that the motor had done in the log book (ie: 50) and the date, then wrote down what the hours are now (ie: 104) and the date, and took the log book to the dealer who services my boat, and he stamped the book, as he knew when I had the boat last serviced and what hours there were on it (the log book tells you this as well).

Then when I sold the boat, I explained to the guy who bought the boat, and no worries (the dates on the log book showed that I couldn't have got all those hours up in the timeframe anyway).
    If you want to round the numbers up so it is easier to remember when the next service is, then turn the switch on for another couple of hours.

Just a suggestion.

cheers,

Simon

kleyny

thanks simon that might just be the go

neil