Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 x 70 hp on 560 cat

2 x 70 hp on 560 cat

I just brought a sharkcat that is currently powered by a pair of 90 e-tec's but they are beyond repair as they left it to long before they pulled them down,i'm on to a
    pair of 70 suzuki 4/ strokes at the right price do you think they are up to the job ?

cheers ...jim

Re:  2 x 70 hp on 560 cat

70HP will only JUST be OK, certainly not a speed demon, and no need to hang on when you "floor it" 90HP is minimum for a Sharkcat, the more power the better.

OH by the way, whats the go with the Etecs?? sunk? no oil? blown?

What is up with the etecs they have only been out a few years surely they cant be stuffed already.......
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

trout3030

I have a pair of 70 johnson (suzuki) 4 strokes on my 5.5m Sailfish. This boat is 6.4 metres overall length. As already mentioned it is no speed demon and a pair of 90's would be nice. However, you have to watch the weight of a pair of 90's. 90 2 strokes are about the same weight as 70 4 strokes. eg 90 etecs are about 168kg and 70 suzuki about 163kg. The just released honda 90 4 strokes are 163kg also so they would be perfect. Be careful; with too much wieght as cats hate the weight on there back ends.

Jimbo

I have a podded 560 shark cat with 70 2 strokes. I am wanting to repower with 4 strokes, have looked at the suzuki 70's as one option and with the extra weight I don't think they would be the go with the old cats.
    At 4500 revs we get 20 - 21 knots
    At 5000 revs we get 25 knots
    WOT we get 30 - 33 knots
    With the little bit of extra weight of the 4's, I assume the speeds you achieve would be a little bit less than these.
    I stand to be be corrected here, but I am of the impression that to get the best of the 4 stroke advantages(fuel economy and longevity), you don't want to be pulling over much over 4000 revs for long periods.
    So, I am of the opinion that you would be better off with 90's in 4 stroke as they aren't much heavier than the 70's(if at all) and allow you to cruise at a good speed and rev range.
    I wouldn't mind a pair of the new Honda 90's, as they sound pretty sexy. Just don't have a spare $30k lying around.
    I thought the e-tec's as repowers for the old cats had some merits. Be interested to hear what went wrong with yours.

In saying all that, if you do put the Suzuki's on it, I would love to have a run in it with you, just to see how they go.

Grant

Hi Jim,
    The sharkcat that you got.Its not the one that was parked out the back of one of the marine dealers at Capalaba.Just curious because i know the guy that owned this vessell.The etecs were a good combination on this particular vessell.On another note i have another mate that has 90 hp honda,s on his 560 cat and i wouldnt go any smaller.The down side is it sits low in the bum due to the extra weight of the 4 strokes.If it were me i would re etec.Purely based on the power to weight ratio.
    Cheers
    Cougarman

Ok fella's here's the story the cat rolled over on the sp bar i tendered for it,won it, and was going to fix the e-tec's but they are going to cost too much and i was looking in the trading post and saw the 70 zuk's .

I have just come back from giving him a deposit so i suppose i'm gunna find out how it go's.

I scored the donk's for under 10 k,the e-tec's are 1year old and they could cost up to 6k each to fix,so if i get 1.5k each donk i'm in front and i get on the water quicker

Anyway if it's a bit gutless i dont care as i did all my racing as a young bloke
    and yes it was the one from leasure marine.

Jimbo,
    That cat is one heavy boatThe guy that owned it completely redone all the floor and stringers and the transom.Prior to the etecs it had 90 hp yamahas on itI think you will struggle with the 70s but good luck and i hope it works out for you.See picture attached
    Cheers
    Cougarman

Sure am glad we don't have to tackle any rotten bars up here. When I lived in Noosa I would always come up with excuses to fish the river, hated going over that bloody thing!

Buy a mono. no problems.

I had a cat with 90 yamaha 2 strokes, light as a feather and reasonably powerfull, cheap to run as well. Oh and Shanoss, sure you could go for a Mono and not get swamped 'cause you would still be at home! (joke intended)

Re: #2 x 70 hp on 560 cat

Quote Originally Posted by 5cougarsthanx
    Jimbo,
    That cat is one heavy boatThe guy that owned it completely redone all the floor and stringers and the transom.Prior to the etecs it had 90 hp yamahas on itI think you will struggle with the 70s #but good luck and i hope it works out for you.See picture attached
    Cheers
    Cougarman
    Hey that's my boat ,thanx for that picy cougarman

I have a cat with Honda 90's, which are a bit heavy but great on fuel and not bad out the hole with the 4 blade props. no problem in achieving 25knots on 4300rpm.
    The only time I'd like a couple of real ''punchy'' two strokes is when your climbing up the back of big waves in a nasty bar situations which I seem to attract.

The fellow Grant with the podded cat, is it an original podded cat or did you do the mods. I'd like to here from anyone who has podded a cat as to what the results are like.

oxygen

the original pods where really good, I have seen some home/commercialy made ones that are not so flash, I now have a 6 metre cat with pods and the extra room and full 'square" transom are worth every cent.