Thread: Kevlacat 2400 winch point

Kevlacat 2400 winch point

Hey guys

Just got my new to me 2005 Kevlacat 2400 dropped to perth from Darwin, and somehow on the truck its snapped the winch point.

does anyone know the best place to holesaw to create access to the nuts? anchor well or cabin

thanks in advance fellas

Re: Kevlacat 2400 winch point

Might be worth a call to Kevlacat direct and ask them.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

G'day
    I think they are buried in a fair depth of epoxy securing them so a fair job ahead I think'
    Good luck
    Yeah call kevlacat
    Cheers
    Rod

Yeah called Kevlacat, the boys arent there today.. told me to call back Monday

Was just hoping to do it this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Crusader View Post
    G'day
    I think they are buried in a fair depth of epoxy securing them so a fair job ahead I think'
    Good luck
    Yeah call kevlacat
    Cheers
    Rod
    Looks like you're right Rod, managed to unscrew the two broken pieces and it seems like the nuts are stuck in place with no real cavity above them.
    Will confirm with kevlacat tomorrow, or does anyone know a winch point that can be bolted up using existing nuts at 45-50ishmm spacing? Boatcatch?

G'day
    Yeah I considered fitting an L and R boat latch, had one on our previous 6m mono, worked an absolute treat. But I could only see it working on retrieve with the kc2400 on skids, even then marginal. I spoke to Kevlacat a year or 2 ago about how to access those bolts and told that about how it was fitted and scrapped the idea. Ours is a 2005 also
    I wonder what force impacted the fitting and hull, must have been significant.
    Frustrating for you I'm sure, I hope you find a timely and satisfactory solution
    Good luck
    Cheers
    Rod

Yep confirmed with KC this morning the u bolt is mounted and then epoxied/glassed over. Fortunately i managed to unscrew the broken pieces so will drill up through them to give me holes to chase the nuts and get cutting

Will upload pictures once done for anyone else who may find them selves in this situation or wants to fit boatcatch type bracket

Yes very opportune that the damage was done in such a way that you could unscrew the pieces. Good luck with it
    Off topic but, I mentioned the L and R boat latch, which is great but not workable our setups, the boat catch could work, but pretty pricey just to stop my wife getting wet feet :-)
    Cheers
    Rod

finally finished cutting and chiseling down to the backing plate for the winch point. used a oscilating/multi tool to cut and a chisel and hammer to chip away slowly

have taken pics with the tape in place in case anyone else ends up in this situation, ive plated it instead of refilling it incase I want to change later.

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Crusader View Post
    Yes very opportune that the damage was done in such a way that you could unscrew the pieces. Good luck with it
    Off topic but, I mentioned the L and R boat latch, which is great but not workable our setups, the boat catch could work, but pretty pricey just to stop my wife getting wet feet :-)
    Cheers
    Rod
    Not sold on the boat latches personally. Sure they do the job of making launch and retrieve easier without doubt but the one I saw on the Cruisecraft that got run off the road in a road rage incident a while back opened up like a jam tin. If I was to fit one I think I would want a separate bow eye for safety chain securing.

G'day Scottar
    Seriously the boat latch is fantastic works a treat on a fully rollered mono trailer. But, it's only for launch and retrieve. I never relied on it to hold the boat on unless the boat was partly in the water. It's to stop anyone having to grovel around on the trailer and or in the water. At all other times at least the winch and safety chain attached, then when clear of ramp the tie downs are put on.
    Used correctly and intelligently like all things boating, fantastic. Common sense, what an oxymoron that phrase is
    Cheers
    Rod

Hey, that would be a great help if you don't mind. I am tempted to try to attack from above, but worry about causing any structual problems. When you unscrewed the broken pieces, did they all come out so that you only have to drill through epoxy and into the anchor well?

Hey thanks U4reel, that is a great help with the pics.How did you manage to get such a precise location of the bolts from inside the well. Careful measuring?