Thread: My First Trout

DRJ

My First Trout

Arrived in NZ yesterday. Managed to get on the water with Neil for the first time this morning and managed my first trout within 30 minutes (thanks Neil). It went 5+ pounds. Some of them even jump like a barra (no boof though ).

And yes it is bloody cold and wet over here.

Regards
    Darren

Gorilla_in_Manila

Re: My First Trout

Well done Darren.
    Where are you fishing? North island / south Island / which coast?
    See any guys down toward the river mouths standing on little home made piers with scoop nets? They'll be chasing whitebait that swim up the rivers from the ocean; season starts in sept. Don't know if that will help your choice of fly profiles.
    Swing the camera around the scenery if you get a chance.
    Cheers
    Jeff

Great fish! Congratulations on the catch DRJ. Despite the cold and damp, you still seem to be smiling . Fishing is the best! Hope you and Neil get a bunch more. Good luck.

E.C.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Just wondering if any more trout showed up for you guys on this trip? If so, any photos? If not, you'll get them next time.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Neil_c

Gorilla
    Darren fished the Tongariro River in the central North Island. It has been a great season with plenty of fat fish landed.

El Carpo
    We were too busy landing fish to get many photos

Neil_c

as fresh as they get

Great lookin fish. Looks like ya havin fun.

Staggy

Too busy catching for pics! Now THAT'S a good trip! Great to hear you guys got a bunch. Those pics are awesome and the fish look top notch! Congratulations guys.

Congrats on some nice fish Darren & Neil.

fitz..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

DRJ

Fitzy

Thanks - was surprised at how well a rainbow fights - especially if they get into the faster water. Great fun

Regards
    Darren