Thread: Fishing Aplins Weir Townsville

Fishing Aplins Weir Townsville

Townsville produces some excellent Barra DPI have reported after electro fishing surveys you have 4 times more chance of catching a Brra in Aplins than in Tinaroo, but second to Lake Moondarra Mt Isa.

Re: Fishing Aplins Weir Townsville

awesome fish mate,
    thats bloody unreal ey, did u release him or what?

how do they fight at that size mate, do they lose their agility or are they fast etc
    Cheers,

Ben

All the fish we catch are tagged and released. As for fighting ability they pull like a train and are willing to jump, there isn't as many obstacles as say Peter Faust Dam in our weirs, so we have a fair chance of landing one.

Cheers Steve.

Hi Steve, thats one hell of a barra from Aplins. My biggest from in there is 94cm. I've hooked some absolute monsters in there at times that have eaten mullet over 30cm long. These were unstoppable with 30lb braid and locked up drag. I heard late last year a 1.50m barra was electro-fished from in there. Its a special place and surely takes some pressure of the saltwater barra of Ross River. Once again nice pic

Thats an absolute horse. My best from Aplins is 101cm. Its surprising how much the big fellas can breach the water! Seeing a metre barra rocket itself to the sky is an awesome sight!