im thinking of going over soon
    Cheers,

Ben

Re: New Zealand trout

also what did u caytch them on mate
    Cheers,

Ben

Chemmy: Mate these ones fought alright, they be a dead weight then you'd get them up to the boat and theyd go right down to the bottom(some areas 80 feet++) and go nuts for a while, not to long though.

Yellahunter, we used a rig for that sort of fishing ive never used, it encompased 3 lures in the one rig. Being the main line down to the leader which held three dropper (paternoster type) loops which held little trolling flies and smallish tassie devils. And we'd keep our eyes glued to the sounder, and when it dropped off from 20 or so feet down to 60 we'd get hit straight up, we had some unreal sessions.
    Couple years back when i was there we went up tongariro river, rated one of new zealands best river to fish for trout, it was something i wont forget, you had to crawl through the ferns river side as the fish spook easily. My mate got a couple of smallish rainbows on sinking nymphs, and on the way back we spooked a big brown from under a log which would've gone 8 pound according to my mate the trout guru.
    Unreal stlye of fishing when chasing the trout up river on fly, its almost like your hunting the fish.
    Remember, you have to have a license to fish, it doesnt cost much, and you do need one, as there are plenty of blokes that patrol the main fished areas

Cheers
    Morty

I fished from the shore and used a 7 foot Shimano 2 peice Techniume rod with a simano budjet reel, chicken bones for burly and bread for bait.

I think that is all

I dug this up from some stuff in my room, its my licence from when i was over there.
    Have a look at the photo of the taupo fishing district, its amazing, the lake itself holds a mirriad of creeks which are fishable, there is a key on the map which is colour co-ordinated to which creeks can/cant be fished, but couldnt focus in on it on camera (to blurry)

photo

Kiwi fisheries do an unreal job on managing the system by releasing thousands of trout each year into the lake form the hatchery.

Hi again fellas,

I thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing some of the brown trout that are caught over here in the great lakes. These came out of Lake Michigan. Unfortunately, they were not caught by me. I found these pics surfing the net.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

The biggest one I ever caught would have been too small to even use for bait for these monsters.

Chemmy, you wrote about that one that peeled off a lot of line and got away......maybe it was..... You never know, that lake you described is awful deep. There could be some behemoths lurking around down there.

E.C.

Neil_c

Cricky El Carpo, those a ball tearers

Nice colours on ya Browny Chemmy.

Lake Taupo is a great place to target both Rainbow and Brown Trout and fully deserves it's reputation, it is however a totally self supporting system with no stocking carried out, this is what makes it so special.

The Tongariro Trout Centre/hatchery is used sparingly these days. It's function is as a failsafe system in case something catasrophic should occur ie: volcanic eruptions. A few thousand fingerlings are produced every year to keep a small pond stocked (at the hatchey) where they hold open days for kids to have a chance to learn the art of fishing. For those who may remember Steve Starling doing a piece about Trout at the Trout Centre with a some rippers swimming behind him, this is a viewing window on the spawning stream that the hatchery is on and is worth the visit just to see them.

More info can be found here http://www.troutcentre.org.nz/

Neil #

has anyone fished the rivers of the south island, how hard are they on a novice trout angler, ive caught a few on lures before in dams but no flies not wild trout

any ideas
    Cheers,

Ben