Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone identify this fish.

Re: Can someone identify this fish.

Dazway
    When lure fishing try the smallest soft plastic you can find. a 1-2inch grub is nomally the go with a lightly weighted #4 or #6 jig head. cast out from the bank and slowly retrieve it along the bottom. when you feel them hitting the lure let them run with it before striking. You can also soak a worm or a bit of peeled prawn under a float using a small long shank or black fish hook.

On my most recent trip to Copeton I was amazed how many there were. Didn't catch one redfin which is ok, I'd rather the Bobby Cod at least they're native. Caught them all on ultra deep 80mm divers.
    Matt

yep deffinately a spangled perch

The little Spangled Perch is a bit of fun on ultra light gear. True, they dont grow too big but the can be fun to catch and very nice eating too.

They range right from the east coast to out in the channel country in central Australia and right up in Cape York.

They will take most baits, and just about any kind of lure if presented properly and of appropriate size. I have even seen them surface feeding on insects like trout.

They tend to thrive in most dams but their average size can become quite small if overstocked. In the bigger water storage dams they tend to make their breeding run upstream into the feeder creeks during heavy summer rains. Find a causeway on one of these feeder creeks when the fish are moving and fish in the upstream pool. The fish are hungry from swimming up the flooded creek and school up for a rest and a feed in the pool created by the causeway.

Used to catch quite a few on the causeway just out of Daybro many years ago. They would readily hit a spinner or a small minnow lure, but best results came from a worm under a float.

These little fish are probably one of the most overlooked of our fresh water species because of their small size.

yes caught afew on lures at moogerah afew weeks ago, before that had only ever caught them on bait at glenlyon and copeton. bdowdy