Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Friday Cod

Good Friday Cod

Ended up in my old haunt of Canberra over the long weekend so went to see if my old mates were still in the Bidgee - answer yes [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Caught three cod (but no Goldens which was surpising considering they used to dominate at the site) ~2, 6 & 12 kg
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

Re: Good Friday Cod

Mate's first cod

Little fella showed up as well as the bigger ones

beautiful fish. caught on lures? which lures?

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Nice catch!
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Jeremy,

all were caught on spinnerbaits - mainly cheap Kokodas plus one on an Aussie made Bassman.

I hardly use anything else for cod, goldens or bass these days unless surface fishing. I use to be fixated on hard bodied, deep diving lures with a good wobble (i.e. Hot n Tots) but the old man visited me in Canberra once and bought his bass spinner bait lure collection with him from Queensland and thrashed me in terms of fish caught - so I've been a convert ever since!!

Regards - Jim

nice fish mate

What type of spin outfit are you using.

Jeremy,
    been wanting to find out the blank type before I replied to you but havn't got into the right town (Ballina) yet to confirm - is a custom made stick ( I think maybe a Aussie blank? - pacific composites) made by a guy in Ballina NSW, with a Shimano Symetre reel (the most expensive spinning reel I've ever purchased - and worth every cent!) spooled with 4 kg grey fireline - lovely rig for the sweetwater in northern NSW (where I live) - though I do get bricked by the occassional large bass or eastern cod. Have landed ~20kg Murray Cod on this rig fishing from a kayak where the fish could be steered clear of trouble to safe landing pads.

Regards - Jim

very good my first fish was a tiger trout very rare fish

J.Nelson

Hey jeremy
    do you have a pic of the tiger trout??? also where did u get it??? to my knowledge the only place in australia they stock them is in a dam in tassie north of launceston. but anyway they arent a true species of fish anyway they are just a hybrid brown/brook trout. but itd be good to see a pic of it. also how big was it??
    cheers
    phil

Are they eastern or murray cod?
    The eastern cod are alot more common than fisheries would think. Have seen days when you get upwards of 10-15 cod in a session. Some area's in the upper clarence, the cod are so highly populated that the bass are almost non-existent.
    Matt

nice cod, the first cod is a beatiful colour
    good on ya!

speckly

Nice fish these cod are. I imagine they are like fishing for jew in a puddle.

well done mate those are ripper's especially the first one!