Thread: Swiss Pike

Swiss Pike

This pike was caught last Sunday (3.04.05) in Lake Geneva, at the far end near the entrance of the river Rhone. It was caught with an orange Rapala glass shad rap was about 95cm in length and don't know how much she weighed!

Re: Swiss Pike

Hello Swiss-Fish!

That's a nice one! We have northern pike in the U.S. too. I've tried to catch some but have only managed two. Both were little, an 18 incher and a 6 (babies ). Does Swizerland have good fishing? What types of fish do you mainly catch?

Also, your picture will show up if you convert it to a jpeg format. The pdf format doesn't work for posting pics.

Nice catch!

E.C.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Hi,

OK I will try posting in jpg this time.

Switzerland fishing is OK but nothing compared to Aus and US both of which i have fished extensivly. Here main species in the lakes are perch good eating but never gett much bigger than 500g i once caught a 1kg perch, otherwise pike which are prety tricky to get from the shore but still usualy get a couple each year, trout we have lake trout and wild brown trout in the rivers lake trout get big but require a boat and alot of patience! We also have all the coarse fish carp. tench chub which are good fun on small lures in summer. So ther you have it the fish of switzerland oh yea we have Zander in a few lakes too (hybrid of a pike and perch) and eel too but i have never caught any!

Hey Swiss-fish,

just to clear up.. Zander are not a hybrid despite reference to them as Pike-perch or Snooke-barss - they are a species in their own right and are completely different family to pike (Esocidae) - Zander & Wallye (closely related US species) are in fact the largest members of the perch family (Percidae) same family as the redfin perch you catch.

Regards - Jim

'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

Hi Jim,

Thanks as zander are relativly new species in Europe I have always just thght they were a hybrid! Any way now I know

Cheers

Simon

gosh, big pike!

Did you eat it?

Hi Ozwald,

No I tried eating one once maybe i didn't cook it the right way but found it tasted real earthy and not really my cup of tea! I do eat the perch from the lake small fillets in a butter and lemon sauce with frech fries! deleciouse!

Simon