Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tinnaroo Red Claw

Tinnaroo Red Claw

Caught this unusual coloured red claw on a recent trip to Tinnaroo Dam and have been in touch with the university(JCU) and they have told me that the unsuual colour is due to a gene deformity. I had an excellent tripwith plenty of red claw that measured around 40cm from tip of tail to tip of claw and they were yum

Re: Tinnaroo Red Claw

one more

Nice yabbys mate! i used to live in tamworth nsw and used too chase them all the time as a young fella got a few big ones but nothin around 40cm. Great work. Whytey.
    If you wish to learn more about reading and getting the most from your Lowrance units or learning more about fishing with artificial baits I will come out in the comfort of your own boat for one on one coaching. Please call for more information.

Flyseyes

nice reddies make good livies for big barra

fugg the barra nothing like crustations.mmmmmmmmmmm yyumm.

i like barra u know. it is wal fellas i like my red clawing. might be going in a couple a days.
    wal

nice interesting

yep nd i cleaned up with bout 400 so it was interesting

barraboy, i took the kids camping up to tinaroo on the school holidays and we tried our luck with the pots. our largest was 17 inches from end to end, couldn''t believe the size of it. beautiful meat to with curry and rice!!

you should of chucked it on as live bait and hang on.

It would be interesting to find out who you talked to at JCU. My understanding is that there is a natural phenotype that ranges in colour from a bright blue colour to a greenish and even brown colour. This colour is close to the edges of the colour range, so is rare (phenotypic expression is usually a bell-curve type of thing). There are examples of this in marron and yabbies as well, and people have even bred family lines of these species that consistently express the bright blue trait consistently to sell in the aquarium trade.

In short, it is not a gene deformity, but rather an unusual but entirely natural gene expression.

Hi Waznot,
    # # # # # # # # # #Good to read that you had fun with the kids catching Red Claw. An excelent bait for them is pilchards kept in bags made from shade cloth or fly screen.

Nice reddy mate

Hey Why-Ting,

I think what you were cathing out at Tamworth would be a different species - Cerax Destructor - or something like that (what we used to call crawbobs, or crawchies) - a bluer colout to the redclaw, smaller and they don't have the red patch on the claw. I could be wrong though - i have no credibility

cant wait till they come back on the chew at bigW since the water levells droped you cant catch the suckers.nice done on the bar b q with satay sauce