Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passing on the Skill

Passing on the Skill

This is whats its all about. Great grandad passing it all on to Great Grandson

Re: Passing on the Skill

And the result - rubbish fish I know but gee they go hard. Tough fishing outta your own backyard too lol

gunna,
    i'm looking at that fish in the pic,,,,,,,,,is it a TILAPIA????????? NOXIOUS FISH!!!!
    or am i totally wrong? where abouts are you fishing? creek, lake, dam, state? etc just extremely interested in that fish. do you catch many????
    johnny M

Yep its a tilapia. They get knocked on the head & buried. Its one of the freshwater lakes on the GC and its full of the buggers. The daughter has only recently bought the place so I only fish it when on holidays. But the SIL fishes it all the time and catches heaps. Berleys up with bread.

excuse my ignorance gunna, but where/what is the GC?
    john

Sorry - Gold Coast, Qld.

really, are they that common down there in the gold coast area. damn that!!

A Granddad to pass down his piscatorial prowess, and fishing available from your back fence ... the kids have it made! Half their luck..

SquareBear 8)

well done mate,

if you dont mind which lake is full of the tilapia on the GC, i live at robina and wouldnt mind having a crack at em for a bit of fun

any advice mate

thanks
    Cheers,

Ben

Its on your doorstep just about. Lake Hugh Munz. There are a few small parks that front onto it. Check some out with a slice of bread just on dark. You will soon see whether there are any fish about. It has a good variety too. Big eels, freshwater gar and some others I am yet to idenify but they look quite bassy. The lake can be fairly weedy so a float might help also. We just use bread as bait.

what is the main species caught in there, is it tilapia
    Cheers,

Ben

Can't answer that. I am in Sydney so its only when I get up for a weekend that I can fish it. The kids fish it a bit and have only caught tilapia - but that only mucking round with bread. When we berley I have seen 2 other species but none have been caught for posotive id. One of these trips I will try a popper in the evening & see what happens.

Great pics mate
    Most of my fishing started with my granddad too,lucky for me he had lots of patience
    Rod

My first memory of fishing was with my grandad using a rod made of local shrub with a line tied to the end and a cork float with earthworms.
    Classic Tom Sawyer stuff catching fresh water fish I think they were perch.

Cool stuff.

Sportfish_5

Good pics - great backyard, wish I had that view