Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: SHOW US YA BARRA

Re: SHOW US YA BARRA

Mate any pics you see of mine on here are all wild and all fresh. 8)

a 107 from Faust. Caught on a 14cm Husky Jerk, 20 lb Bionic Braid over a 1kg bass rod.

gf
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Keeping the Faust theme going - 116cm 52pound horse caught casting in the timber.

FlyRod

I love these big Barra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is one my mate Davo caught a couple of weeks ago at Kinchant dam.
    This is his best Barra so far!!!!He was stoked!!!!
    Caught it casting a Tango Dancer ,after missing a good fish the day before he had to get one ...and came up with the goods!!!
    101cm 17.5kg

Got this rat on Sunday at Awoonga. 67cm.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Mates best to date. Its a good thing they have handles on them or ya would not be able to hold them up for a pic [smiley=shocked2.gif]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

A nice one from Prossie caught trolling in the early am.
    111cm and a bit over 30lb

cheers

Sy

krtazy

some absolutely awesome photos in there how lucky we are to have these fish to chase

i'll dig up a couple of pics of barra from gladstone harbour and awoonga. yes we are lucky to enjoy and admire such an awesome tropical species. don't think they will ever be under threat of extinction when they are being developed and mass produced in a test tube. Congratulations to all those who participate in such programmes, a big plus for our water ways! photos coming soon.

Just a few from a Faust night session... fish of around 115 cm... casting Predatek Vipers..... they don't like em much

Other one 111cm

Here one of my best lately - 68cm WILD FRESHWATER BARRA (not stocked) - I appreciate stocked impoundment fisheries (takes pressure off wild fish) - but its important we don't forget the natural habitats and fish populations while our fishing desires are being satiated by dams!

This fish was the best of eight all caught on squidgy fish SPs before 7.00 am in the morning from a coastal freshwater lagoon on the outskirts of Townsville. I LUV blackwater lagoons with healthy barra populations. This lagoon is a window into the regional groundwater and water quality is good as is the fish eating quality - only this one kept. - Jim
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

Here's the habitat it came out of. These type of lagoons are commonly hammered by exotic weeds and stuffed fishwise by passage barriers - particularly ponded pasture bunds in the supratidal zone.

Jim... Just asking mate... how do ya know that it is a wild river fish?
    Do they not stock that area from time to time?
    There is some stocking around the Townsville area.

Cheers Les

Fair question Les, it is possible that the fish recruited 'over the wall' from stocked weirs in the region but there is no direct stocking into the creek concerned and I have personally sampled numerous 'young of the year' from about 40 - 200 mm from the system which is well connected to nursery habitat so assume that most fish are 'wild'.

Floresent tagging of hatchery fingerlings is the only way we can really sort out stocked from wild fish and it is an important question. I suppose I push the wild fish barrow a bit because I'm concerned that agencies can get to view stocking as the 'easy fix' for fish stocks (with all the co-committant risks to genetic viability and species hardiness) rather than address the harder issues associated with habitat management and rehabilitation.

Regards - Jim