Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brissie catties

brissie catties

now i know targeting catties is not the most glamourous...but last summer a mate and i went to the upper brissie river near wivenhoe and had a ball pullin in these slimy buggers......we lost several lures to bigger cats.....it was a good way to spend the morning.....

Re: brissie catties

As you say not the most glamorous of fish but good fun to catch although after seeing the effects their spines can have I don't tend to get too close to the things unless they are dead.

yeah the spines......when i was younger i was swinging one around on the end of my line and had a pectoral spine snap off in my thigh...missed the family jewels buy millimetres.......tunnel vision , extreme pain and a trip to the hospital......lets say i treat them with a bit more respect now

I don't think they taste bad either.

I quite enjoy a feed of catfish.

They go by the name of silver cobbler in the shops in some states of Australia.

Louis

i dunno about the taste of catties coz they live in the mud and it shard to get that muddy taste out of them fun to catch though

Always fun to catch something. At least you didn't drive all the way to Awoonga to only catch catties - something that has happened to me unfortunately.

better than catching nothing

I've heard they are good eating but they are ugly mothers. I'll have to give em a try one day they probably do taste good.
    Cheers

blue-mako

Get some 'Bassa' from the fish shop. That's Catties!

Troy

True that Troy.
    I am under the impression that the eel tail catties are better eating than the forkies.
    But i have only had forky and it was fine.
    There seems to be a serious decline on eel tail numbers so i prefer to release.

Angus

my pop got this one up at lake monduran last weekend. must be feedin them steriods or something he went like a train. good fun though when the weather is lousy and barra arent biting.

anotha pic

huge!

I should have taken the camera to wivenhoe today, got a 63cm forky on a little bubble pop, big fat bugga like that one too.