Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your cod

Steve_Monckton

Re: Show us your cod

G'day bdowdy, sorry but I don't sell them but they are easy to make and light enough to use on small rods, they are made out of maranti timber and are 120mm long x 30mm deep at the front tapering off to 15mm deep at the tail. I use 1.2mm aluminium for the bib and they look like mickey mouse ears that are cupped and screwed to the body with light aluminium screws and stuck together with super strength araldite. Twist some stainless steel wire around a small nail and twist the ends together and drill holes into the body that go in about 40mm and screw the twisted wire into the holes with araldite, make sure they are a tight fit.This is to put the rings and hooks on. Taper the bib at 45degrees and paint them any colour you want(even black works well as the fish zone in on the noise) The trick is to tune the bib in so the lure makes a loud "plop plop" noise. I am taking them back up to Awoonga to see if the barra can break them later this year, but good so far. Hope this helps, cheers mate ,steve.

scott_b

Gday
    Cant beat timber lures !!!. What do you use bdowdy???.
    wamjam

gday wamjam i use peter newell paddlers, nightwalkers(halco) and have been making a few myself from old thong material. but peter newell made me some large jointed wooden ones which are huge and make a hell of a racket. but ill use any surface lure even fizzers at last count i had probably around 25 different surface lures , im a lure junkey its like this if i walk into atackle shop and they have anew one i buy it, not only surface lures any lure. but you cant beat acod taking them from the surface can you . cheers bdowdy

This beautiful specimen (the fish that is!) was caught in Lake McDonald in Southern QLD. A mate and I just got there at around 1-2pm and were motoring over to the bubble trails where we were going to use jigs first. On the way we chuched them out the back and trolled the jigs, yes you heard right, trolling jigs. When we got there we got hammered by this Cod, which took about 10-25 minutes to subdue. We didn't weight or measure it, as we wanted to get it back into the water ASAP.

Have fished in many lakes up here and have seen big cod come up to my Bass that I caught and was on top of the water surface and trying to eat it.

great cod wooly

yeh nice cod, i think there mary river cod in mcdonald is that correct. any how nice fish cheers bdowdy

Had a fish on the Murray below lock 1 on Sunday, first time I've tried this year and got this 86cm cod, my smallest so far.

Drawn

The release.

gday drawn,yeh we know you get some great fish , but thats still agood cod for some people, i fished on sat for8 hours and only got one cod at52cm at glenlyon. cheers bdowdy wishin i could get down your way and get into some of those bigger cod.

Quote Originally Posted by drawn
    The release.
    great shot mate nice fish

Yeah well done drawn [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

scott_b

Gday
    Mate that lake McDonald cod is a very nice looking fish!!. Had a bit of a fish there one weekend while visiting the olds. No luck but.
    Drawn mate what part of the Murray is lock one ??. Wish I could say 86cm was my smallest cod.
    wamjam

Lock 1 is at Blanchtown.
    I wouldn't mind catching a few smaller cod with those great colours.
    I've got the 1m plus I was after so any cod no matter what the size it is I appreciate just as much.

drawn

scott_b

Gday drawn
    Mate what lures are you using???and are you casting or trolling.
    wamjam

G'day wamjam,
    Got that one trolling using a stumpjumper but a mate with me lost a bigger fish earlier in the day using an E-chip trolling also. We do some casting as well but still haven't caught one casting yet. Also caught 4 nice yellow belly up to 49cm that day trolling so they help fill in the time between cod.
    I honestly think most lures will catch them as long as you vary the speed and amount of line out to suit each type of lure. We do prefer darker colours as our water is generally dirtier than yours so don't use yellow and black much but having said that the water is the clearest it has been for probably 10yrs or more at the moment so I may try some lighter colours next time.

drawn