Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your cod

Re: Show us your cod

nice fish mate i to fish the peel river and am finding it hard catching fish through winter ne tips or spots that might help

Mearzie,
    I will probably regret posting this (you never know who will see it) but there is excellent cod fishing in the Peel down from the BMX track at North Tamworth. They tend to be a bit thin in winter but they are still there. If you get some Jackalls then take them down there and target the carp with them. They absolutely smash them when in the right mood!!! During winter your best bet would be the Manilla River down from Upper Manilla for BIG cod. If you do get one please let it go as I feel like I know every one of them!!! The Paradise Caravan Park does have good fishing at times but if you walk upstream for about 4 hours i.e. Nemingha, then it starts to get really good on the days around a full moon.

Hope this helps.
    Wardy.

Steve_Monckton

Still trying to work out how to get a pic on. Here is a cod from Copeton dam which is a scanned photo so the quality is not real good. This is the one I have been trying to get posted Wamjam.

Steve_Monckton

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi
    Still trying to work out how to get a pic on. Here is a cod from Copeton dam which is a scanned photo so the quality is not real good. This is the one I have been trying to get posted Wamjam.
    Bugger!!

Steve_Monckton

This time.

scott_b

Very nice mate
    you didn't leave much background for me to sus out , looks a bit like barefoot.
    wamjam

Steve_Monckton

G,day Wamjam, I dont have many good pics of that fish cause it was taken with a film camera and my ex wife has cut up a lot of my old fish pics( let that be a warning people, take your wife fishing with you or else!!) At least I have the time to go fishing more now.... It was caught in the Aberdeen hole in the early 90's. Where you caught yours is near Panther Rock and the area holds a lot of big fish. We see a lot there in shallow water but don't catch many cause there is too much food in the dam and the fish are lazy and just hold their mouths open til something swims in. I live at Ballina now but try to get back there when it warms up enough. Go up there when the moon phase is right and use surface lures. Not for anyone with a bad heart. Cheers mate, Steve.

A nice glenlyon specimen.

scott_b

Gday rabbi
    That part hasn't been accessable from the dam for a long time. Still gets a good hiding and a lot of good fish have been killed , shame.
    The day i got that 110cm we seen another two fish around the meter follow lures.
    What did you get it on????.
    wamjam

Steve_Monckton

Hi Wamjam, I have heard that the dam is low at the moment, but that can help sometimes. I caught it on an Eddy Dambuster lure in yellow and black( is there any other colour!!) back when they had a metal bib and decent hooks. They are not as durable as they once were. I am taking a liking to some of the RMG lures now. That particular afternoon we hooked and landed 12cod with a couple around the 15kg mark( one on a homemade surface lure) and let them all go. I have always believed they had more value back in the water and anything over 10kg was fat and muddy tasting. Take a pic, let them go and catch em again next weekend. Have you ever had cod chase a lure right up to the bank, sniff it and swim away? and then at other times smash it. I have found that moon phases play a big role with that activity( apart from when the water resources are draining the dam) keep a record of when they hit the lure and when they just follow it and line it up with the moon phase. It might play in your favour. Much like jewfish over here at the coast. Cheers mate. (keep it to yourself though )

That was some fish Rabbi.. well done

scott_b

Gday rabbi
    Mate I do get the odd chasers but also get good hits on the same day. I don't keep a reccord of what happens , because if its a bad day for fishing and I'm not at work I'll end up going anyway.
    good luck wamjam

scott_b

By the way!
    Bassjunky nice fish mate! , not yet fished Glenlyon ,
    And havn't caught a bass over bloody 20cm or less ,think less!!!
    wamjam

Steve_Monckton

G'day again Wamjam, I think that was my biggest handicap, Studying the fish too much. It was good stress therapy. Here is a pic of my home made surface lures if it is of any help to you. A mate and I went to a river around Inverell last march and fished most of the night with them (on the right moon) and caught and released 46 cod in one night solely on surface lures. Nothing over 6kg but great fun.

gday rabbi, your surface lures look great, wouldnt mind one myself do you sell them around the new england area.if so were so i can give one ago i just love my surface fishing for murry cod. cheers bdowdy