Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albino Barra

Albino Barra

A fish biologist colleague just sent me this photo of an apparently albino barra caught while electro fishing a freshwater river in the Gulf of Carpentaria. I've seen them look pretty 'white' before in dirty coloured river systems but this one definiately looks albino and was paler than other fish caught oiut of the same system. Have any others seen albino barra in the wild?

Regards -Jim
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

hardb8

Re: Albino Barra

Awsome lookin fish Jim.Never seen or ever heard of one.It's unreal #

That is awesome... shouldnt it have the pink eyes but? or maybe im wrong.... cool looking fish though.
    Cheers
    Jackash

WICKED
    figjam :wink:

I've seen a pic of 70-80cm albino barra in NQ fish and boat a few years ago but it was not in colour. That looks awsome.

pete.

I once saw a photo of one and it looked very similar to the one in the photo above.

I saw 3 white barra in 2 minutes in a connecting channel off Coroboree in the NT. about 2 years ago. They ranged from about 40 cm to about 75 cm. The water was quite shallow and very warm, but we could not catch any on the lures.

wow thats awesome has any body got any photos of any other albino fish as it would be an interesting read cheers bdowdy

top looking fish!! lucky he wasnt picked of by preditors when he was smaller!!

Hey guys, sorry for bringing back a month old thread...

I was searching the net and stumbled across this amazing barra!

And i have some info for anyone that is interested. That barra has a rare form of albinism which is often refered to in the aquatic trade as "platinum" or "snow" which is HIGHLY sort after.

Other fish that have this form of albinism are SUPER RARE! and fetch a higher price than their normal brothers and sisters. One species in particular, The silver arowana(south american cousin of our saratoga) , with this albinism can demand $US50,000+.

Normal siver aro's sell for $US50.... in the US
    In australia normal silver aro's go for $200-$800, so you can imagine the price of a platinum over here!

Anyways, Jim....I'm not saying that barra is worth thousands but if your mate ate that fish it was a pretty expensive dinner lol

Hopefully the pics below work and i can show you the difference between a normal silver and a "platinum" or "snow".

Normal-

Platinum or snow

Also here is another extremely rare barra, From somewhere in the US

heres a sooty from faust a few years ago , make a good pet
    cheers swano

That sooty is unreall . I've never seen that bright orange before.

Another albino.....................a touch bigger