Thread: Bazzaman and Bubby at Barron 24/11

Bazzaman and Bubby at Barron 24/11

G'Day Folks,

Shane (Bazzaman) and I braved the elements last night for a shot at the Barron River hoping to get ahold of some big tarpies on squidgy and maybe pick up a jack or fingermark off the bottom. We secured a good supply of bait early on, the river is swarming with big mud herring at the moment . It wasn't long before there were handfulls of them jumping all over the boat like marsupial mice. Once anchored we began throwing the plastics and threw out our heavy lines on the bottom.

Initially we had hardly any hits until Shane's heavy line made some concerning movements. He struck into a snag, meaning it was time to snap off mono about as thick as rope you'd feel comfortable abseiling with. It was starting to look like our second Barron trip would turn out like our doomed first trip where I lost a good barra about an axe length away from the net. However, I have educated Shane in the refined art of squidgy prowess and he began hooking into our target species . It took a bit of casting but Shane and I both were onto fish that just wouldnt play by the rules. Eventually after a few missed chances Shane battled a nice tarpon to the net. We got a photo and kept casting.

The casting routine was becoming a bit of a bore as out bottom baits were getting more attention. When my line went slack I struck and came up tight to a rampaging fish down deep. While I was hoping for a fingermark it turned out to be a 64cm barra that did a good job pretending to be a fingermark. The next bait was hardly in the rod holder when it screamed out line. This one made no secret it was a barra soaring into the evening sky. Everything went smoothly again and I was holding a 65cm barra. Since its closed season we make an effort to release any barra we catch as fast as is practical . So instead of wasting time on glamour shots Shane got one of me with my head dangled into croc habitat with the little sucker. That turned out to be our last bit of action for the night, enjoy the pics.

Re: Bazzaman and Bubby at Barron 24/11

Pic 1: Shane and his squidgied tarpon

Releasing 65cm barra

hi shane
    nice fish there
    i am still waiting to catch my 1st barra

cheers pete

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

nice fish there dan, you've got the magic touch with those barra

cheers,

steve

Great session by the sounds of it boys, with a couple of nice barra coming from what a lot of people say is a "fished out" river. #Hmmmm ... me don't thiks so!! #Makes me regret not having a boat when I lived there!

Gotta hand it to those funky LED headtorches ..... That IS a glamourphoto!! #(if I had to cop shit in one of my recent jack reports then you do to Bad_Bubby!) #I have yet to convince my mates how cool they are.

Hope your nigtht release photo's don't ever turn into a "how to feed the crocs" demonstration! #Wouldn't do THAT in lakefield!!

Nice report lads.

Unfortunately the fingermark werent around last night but we will hit it again soon to try and get one.

Good report Dan, be great fishn there in open season by the looks if the barra are there like they were last night. Imagine actually targeting them, couldnt miss!

Woulda been good to get a few more tarpon that we were also targeting but cant complain about barra!

Shane

hey dan, nice barra u got there and good pics, jus like outsiderskip im still waiting to catch one of them.
    good size 2.

Top report lads [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    Thinking of targeting some fingermark around Townsville too. Any particular moon phase you guys work on. i.e lead up to the full or just after the new? I am working on a night tide philosophy with live squid first choice but then after that fresh squid and/or live bait in a deepish hole at a creek mouth. What do you think?Am I in with a shot?
    Damo

Great report Dan!
    Mullet: 110mm squigy slick rigs technicolour yawn (hook sits rather high but don't let that bother you - one size smaller has a lower profile hook, quite strong too) for fingermark but make sure your tackle is up to it because they smash them! #I think I read a report somewhere that when Craigie went fishing with Darryl from tackleworld townsville they were using storm soft plastics and getting bricked on 30lb with 50lb leader. #Otherwise live squid on dark flat night (easier to attract the squid) or live greenback herring.

PS. #Of course, these are just rumours, not tips, as I don't fish much - wouldn't really know #
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

Thanks nonibbles, will give it a crack and let you know the results.
    The mullet

yeh your right on the mark fellas for gettn a fingermark!!

Great catch!

Can't complain about a quality catch like that so close to the centre of Cairns!

Franco, thos headlights are great $15 at a sports shop starting with A at the moment.

Reds one week barra the next - you fish too much! I used to until wife/children.

Shafty

FISH TOO MUCH????

NO SUCH THING!