Thread: Escape to Maroon Dam

Escape to Maroon Dam

Hello All,

Escaped from the 20knt winds forcast today, and gained a heap of knowledge from Steve, one of my regular deckies on the subject of Bass. I no very little when it comes to this style of fishing, as was evidenced by the score. Steve 9 to my 4, and they were all very similar in size, from 33cm to 37cm. Every fish was released. While I persisted with soft plastics, Steve kept them coming in on spinnerbaits and a number of choice hard body lures

I was surprised we were the only ones there until late morning, don't the Bass hit hard!!

Scalem

Re: Escape to Maroon Dam

Slightly bigger one, I know these are not trophy fish, but we had a heap of fun, that's all that matters!

aquarius

Geez Mate you get around.......Saltwater 1 weekend and fresh the next..lol
    Great to see you nailed a few bass.....They are fighters thats for sure.
    I fished Maroon with the legenary guide Garry Fitzgerald (Fittzy) a few years ago.
    We did an arvo/night fish with hardbodied lures and then surface poppers after dark........Man those poppers really get the bass fired up and its a real adrenaline rush when you hook up in complete darkness !!
    We caught about 50 bass that trip.......took home 2 each to eat but must say they are better alive than dead.
    Biggest bass the mate and i caught from Sommerset 2 years ago went 50cms.....awesome fighter !!
    Saltwater for me tomorrow and hopefully a few macks or a snapper.....can only wish..lol
    Cheers Brent

Hey Brent they are awesome fish, real bruisers that's for sure. The rest of the story is that the trip was really made because a friend wanted to tow a few kneeboarders around the dam, but wasn't going to be there until 11.00am, so I didn't waste the opportunity to have a fish till then. I think our start at 5.30am was too late, they like the dark just before sunup I am told. I will be back there soon I hope, to whack a few more. I got spiked too, didn't realise they have a little poison in the fins. Bit of a throb that didn't last long thank goodness. You could do a camping trip the whole weekend couldn't you?.... and fish the right times as you did obviously. Hold that thought.....