Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pics from Awoonga Comp

westie

Re: Pics from Awoonga Comp

Quote Originally Posted by CamH
    This is starting to have the makings of one of those posts that turn into 10 pages of arguments like the old "should you keep marlin" favourite. Lets just say they are great fish and each to their own opinion on the rightness or wrongness of the rules.

i Agree any more bids ......All done .......Westie is out....1 more....last call......All Done

Quote Originally Posted by MADKEEN
    Just like your big flathead.
    David
    hoo u callin 'flathead'
    Haines Hunter 650 'Horizon' 200 4st Johnson (aka Suk DF200) call sign "Dozer" or "Uripper"

Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It is a free country the last time I looked. Can someone tell me why some of the "GUN ANGLERS" that so many on this site back slap so often, when a couple of hundred Kgs of RED FISH are taken on a regular event are not baged. These anglers have not broken the law (GUNS included) so why up them. Big barra like those would eat heaps of there own kind each day, they dont breed in dams only eat and give us anglers a thrill to catch and release, take your choice. Dont be jealous go and get one for yourself, and keep or release your choice !!!!!!!

noluck

DNO40

Tis the season to be jolly trala lala la lala

DNO

I am not going to get into the great debate of the year, however am a great believer of the "Catch and Release" motto. For example I just spent alot of money, time and effort to go up to Lake Awoonga to catch the ellusive 1metre plus Barra and caught a few (see post) smallest being 108cm and largest 118cm.

I am guessing that if everyone didn't believe in this motto, then the trip would of been a waste of time etc and also have seen alot of fresh water lakes almost destroyed in over fishing and fisherman taking home fish.

Again, I don't want to get into a slagging match with anyone, however my view will never change.

There is merrit in C&R no doubt,but these fisheries were set up with the intention of put and take ultimately leading to less pressure on wild stocks,do we want to end up with a general concensus that says it is alright to kill a wild Barra that will breed,but not acceptable to kill a stocked Barra that will never breed?The advice that is given to people(anglers fishing the dam) that I have spoken to is to cull the larger fish,I can see that there would be groups of people like ABT type competition organisers,guides,people supplying accomadation etc that do very nicely out of having a captive supply of large fish on hand and would disagree with this idea but there are arguments for it,one being that stocked fingerlings and yearlings are a very expensive food source for huge fish.Maybe it's time that certain dams were set aside with C&R only in mind,they could be stocked for afew seasons then left to the people who have a vested interest in big fish to decide how and when to restock at their own expense once the fish reach "trophy" size,but untill something like this happens let's not lose sight of the fact that it is a put and take fishery and the people that raise those fry/fingerlings don't intend them to be used as fish food.