Thread: Wonga Beach Trip

Wonga Beach Trip

G'Day Everyone. Went to Wonga Beach for the weekend, been quite afew years since we stayed there. We ventured up mainly for a look at what Major damage had been done due to cyclone Monica (rainfall/Flooding), but turned out we made the trip into a fishing trip (minus a boat # ). Heres what occured...

Saturday - Drove from Herberton to Mossman, carefully looking upon any rivers or creeks i could have a go at on the way back on Sunday. Things were looking good, a number of good rivers around the Mount Molloy/Julatten area were up and flowing very well. My hopes were up. Headed down the Rex Range to Mossman. Usual Mossman, quiet and relaxing as ever, purchased abit of bait and headed up to Wonga. On the way up we stopped at our favourite Surf Fishing spots to have a look see (Rocky Point) at about 1pm. Didnt look too bad, low tide, but it looked as thought Monica had not got in its way, thankfully). Checked tide times and planned to fish there Sunday (today) at 10am for high tide. From there we headed up to our cabin at Pinnacle Village. There we messed about for awile and went for a dip in the pool.

That late afternoon we ventured further north to the Daintree. Went to the Daintree community itself and worked our way back slowly down south, checking out any spots we could have a go at from the bank, and it all looked fairly quiet. Went for a quick drive to the Daintree/Cape Tribulation boat ramp to see if we could throw some lures around, and no things still didnt look too great. Back to the Village we went. Got back at about 4, and decided to try out my new surf package. Turned out i was the biggest fool in the world. I approached the beach from where we were staying to be unbeleivably gobsmacked. The beach was pure black (yes black!). Turned out during Monica the high tides threw alot of $hit on the beach, it was remarkable. In some spots the thilth was up to my knees, so i turned around and went back whilst people laughed at me with my beaut fishing package whilst on a miserable Wonga. The day was over, and retreated back to camp. Planned on fishing the late hight tide that night, but rain kept us inside.

Next day - Rocky Point! finally some fish!. Just took my estuary combo and chucked some squid and pilchards around. Picked up afew little Grunters which i chucked back, but the guy next to me (who i still dont know, told me to talk to a guy on AusFish called nibbles, so pm me mate!), anyway this guy landed a large Kingie on the rocks that morning, and he got it on land, and got the hooks out of him, and WHACK the fish was back on the water! A large kingie, perfect for the plate back in the ocean. Still cracked onto a heap of big hits but no hook ups apart from a few grunter.

That afternoon we drove back up to the rivers and creeks i admired on the way down, and stopped at Riffle Creek at Mount Molloy. The water was pure brown, and flowing very fast. But i managed to find myself a nice big pool with snags. Here i picked up 6 nice size sooty's, all about 29,30 cm. Threw afew back and kept two for 2nite's dinner. And thats all the fishing we did on the w/end, all and all a pretty miserbale w/end fishing. The only highlight for the weekend is that my favourite band Tool have released a magnificent new album, so if you can i encourage you to buy it!

I am after adivse for my surf package tho. I have a brand new 12 foot surf rod matched with a large Viva Harbour spin reel. I spooled it full with 10lb Pucci line. Is this too light for surf? Because whilst i was on the rocks i couldnt cast for $hit! It was my first time i used it but i was rather angry as something was wrong. Is the line too light? Fishing with a 40cm trace, about 35g cast weight (bait and sinker), and it still wouldnt cast well!) So help needed.

Cheers.

TinarooTriumph
    TT

Re: Wonga Beach Trip

Nice report mate. Too bad about all that debris/crud on the beach. I have had a similar problem lately when fishing Liverpool Creek in Cowley. There is so much debris and weed being washed ashore it doesn't help with any form of fishing. Hopefully you can score some sooties out Chillagoe way when you're out there, that would be sweet.

P.S I haven't heard the new Tool album but I'm gunna get it soon!

Re: Wonga Beach Trip

Yer mate it will take awile for the crap on our beaches and rivers to flow back out again . Lets hope next weekend when i head out to Chillagoe we can hit the sooties hard, make up for this trip. Planning on fishing some rivers around your area soon Dan .

Cheers. TinarooTriumph
    TT