Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big barra at awoonga this easter

Re: Big barra at awoonga this easter

oh and also would anyone with a bit more experience like to hazard a guess of the things weight.

Yeh Cam, campsite was chockers. I was camped with 5 other couples, all with kids. So it was pretty hectic, and a bit of a juggle moving the cars & trailers around. But worked out alright. Also only 3 fishing boats between us, so I had to be tour guide to some very inexperienced fisho's. Made serious fishing difficult, and sometimes a little frightening with their casting ineptness. But all in all it was good fun. Can't imagine any time being busier than easter weekend, so I'd go there any time I got the chance, long weekend or not. And most importantly plenty of room to move on the water regardless.

Jeremy, mate excellent pics. But you've made me look silly.

Jeremy,,,
    Weight, thats not really an issue, as the smiles and the memories created by that fish are the most important of the lot. It looks a fantastic fish. The length to weight can only be estimates as each fish varies in condition immensely and each individual photo can also either enhance slightly or detract from its true form.
    But to have a rough and close guess from experience mate, at 1300mm, it would be very fair to say the fish would weigh over the 30 kg mark, but without actually seeing the fish myself it would be madness to make anything more acurate than a guess from a picture.
    We have had 1200mm fish (kept)at 29.8kg, 1260mm fish at 30.8kg(weighed and released), and 1210mm fish at approx 29-30kg. Another barra of 1280mm weighed 28kg, more like the proportions of a wild salt fish, so with saying all that,,,,,,,,,,,,,your kick-butt barra weighed what it weighed, and it is still in the system hopefully available to grow into a mega-barra in the coming years to greet you once again at the easter bunny time.
    PS,,,,keep outta my spot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Not!!
    Regards and all the best,
    Johnny M
    Lake Awoonga

Thanks for the info Tiges, Jeremy they are wonderful pictures and you must be pleased with the outing, thanks for the report.

Regards Cameron.

Yes thats some Fish And the good thing is that you put her back ! !
    Kids need models, more than they need critics."
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Fantastic stuff Jeremy! Pretty incredible considering how many boats must have been zooming around.

Awoonga dam hasn't allowed me to join the metre club yet (not for want of trying) One thing I know is that I'll never get tired of fishing for these amazing beasties amongst the snags
    Cheers,
    Tony

Hi Jeremy,
    Thanks for following up with the photos. Fantastic fish.

All the best.
    Steve.

this one caught today #

trolling just on dark with a lure we found, where someone had mis-cast into the trees and didnt bother retreiving it. #we dont know exactly how big it is as our tape measure runs out at 90cm but it is around 115cm +. #also caught another 2 barra, one going around 1m and another around 95cm in a space of 10 mins of the biggun. They were obviosuly feeding as the sounder was blacked out with baitfish. #Just one of those days #

Some serious fish there Jeremy
    Well done [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]
    Be interesting to know how old that fish would be.
    I know what you mean about the nongs running around without lights out there.
    I've only been on the dam once at night and could hear a few trolling around in the basin, but no lights to be seen

cheers,
    Owen
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Jeremy,
    This barra was caught by the lady in the photograph today on charter, caught casting prior to sundown. A pretty dam good effort I reckon. It was 1230mm and by far a great way to end a day. It was caught doing similar things to what you mentioned you did in a similar spot that you, Matt and I fished on your charter visit! Great to see good fish like that and your whopper on the move.
    Johnny M

Some great fish fella's. Keep em' coming.

TinarooTriumph
    TT

a_dif_perspective. seen you around the dam a bit. can u pm with a days charter price please? i cant pm yet because i havent posted 10 times.

Some beautiful fish Jeremy. I had my first barra trip ever last week (to Monduran) and my first went 83cm. What a thrill to see it tagged and swimming healthily away to fighht another day. Two boats caught 28 for the week (all tagged and released) and I managed 4 with plenty smoking me, throwing lures and flashing them. What an extremely satisfying yet nerve-wracking form of fishing when you just never know when your lure will be crunched. Had a death grip on my rod all week and have cramped hands and bruises on my guts from the strikes/fights. A stunning experience i would recommend to anyone.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

As Big Ren mentioned, great fish Jeremy. I think Big Ren was getting his rod butt caught in his panty hose which caused the awesome bruising to his gut.

Paul, you should post a trophy shot of your bruises. May encourage or discourage some from planning their first Barra trip.

Johnny M - I assume the lady that caught the monster above was casting in fairly open water???

Black Sheep,,,
    Awoonga is a place of 'fairly open' type water, so yes, hooked and landed in not so super tight crowded and enclosed timbered water, but that type of stuff isn't that common in Awoonga. Many big fish that get hooked, panic and run deep and away from any submerged hazards. I just pulled away with the electric and stayed wide keeping the fish clear from the undergrowth so to speak!!
    Awoonga isn't a tough fishery, you can make it hard if you want to or keep it a lot more simpler for good results!
    The barra she landed pulled pretty hard for a bigger fish, it jumped, changed direction many times and went deep for a while also. She did well to land it.
    Cheers.