Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Yella

My First Yella

Had a great weekend on the water at Big W with a bunch of kayakers, we camped at Logan's and had a bloody top time. We didn't see a single bass all weekend, which was quite strange, but I did get a couple of nice yellas. Always good to add another species to the caught list. This fella went 47cms and went down a treat for dinner much to my surprise after reports of them being a bit slack on the chew. The fish was still kicking when I filleted him, skinned the fillets, then soaked in fresh clean water for 10mins, mixed up some ginger, garlic and chilli powder and gave the fillets a light coating and left em in the esky for half hour before frying them up in butter. No sign of fat in the flesh at all.

Re: My First Yella

Karl

Well done on the yellowbelly, a nice fish and well deserved after your efforts
    Regards

Richo

Well done . What a good fish.

I usually get mine out west of Goondiwindi but 500 kms is a bit far on a weekend.

So the money saved on fuel has just got me what I hope is a good 2nd hand Minn Kota 40 for the tinny.

I'm off to Wivenhoe this weekend to try it out for the first time and plan to camp at Logan.

I'm new to impoundment fishing(this is my first try at it ) and was wondering if you could offer any tips on gear, tactics or locations at Wivenhoe?
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

This was only my 4th trip to the Dam, but I'll happily pass on what I have learned.
    If you head due east from the boat ramp for approx 6Kms you will come across a narrow point between two points and beyond that the old river bed drops down to 15m+, to your right you will see a cliff face dropping straight into the water, between that narrow point and the cliff is where I have caught most of my fish, but also if you follow the bank around you will find more cliffs that are all supposed to produce good bass and yellas. The lure that did the damage for me this weekend was a green and yellow killer lure with the eyes painted on the tail. I bought it way to long ago to know more about it than that. I hope this helps. I'll PM you my phone number in case you wanna have a yarn about it anyway. Good Luck.

Good to see mate not only a new species but a pb as well , did you end up having to paddle with a hangover?

Nice work canoedle, from what I am told most of the bass are down in the deep water at wall. A few good reports have been written about the bass electric comp at Wivenhoe. Worth reading!
    cheers
    Toppy

Nice stuff Karl, healthy looking yella in the pic. Must of been a tasty yella at that, judging by the healthy state of the fish. Its only the really big ones that go over 60cm in length that taste fatty and foul, so Im told.

What model Killalure was it, if you know?. Looks like a first series Pak Rat to me.

Well done again.

TT
    TT

good stuff top catch

Thanks for the tips. Might see you up there one weekend.
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

Sounds good Callop.
    Shayne, no hangovers, we did our best, but it was all good quality beer, and only small amounts of port for me, so no brain damage this trip.
    I gotta try to put up this picture of a genuine fresh water bait ball. Check it out, aparently the big bass and saratoga in the dam round up the bony bream into an inlet then proceed to smash them for hours, this is the site we saw from the camp ground as we were packing up monday morning.

Great photo, sort of makes you expect to see a couple of big tuna smashing out of the water. Please tell me you threw a lure at it.

sadly, I didn't have time.

nice fish mate, and that last pick wow that must have been awesome to watch.

fathers day is coming up might have to ask for a yak

Floyd

Cheers Floyd