Thread: Wuruma Dam Report l

Wuruma Dam Report l

Hi guys,
    Just got back from a work trip up at Monto in Central Qld.
    On the way back I allowed time to check out & fish for Barra at Wuruma Dam. Its located about half way between Monto & Eidsvold & about 30kms inland from the turnoff on the h/way.
    On arrival it was almost heart breaking how the drought has taken its toll on the area. The water level is sitting at 1% which has taken the level back to the old river bed that runs upto the dam wall.
    The water board has stopped letting water from the spillway to maintain & conserve what water is left in the dam.
    Surprisingly the place still has an abundance of wildlife ranging from birds, kangaroos, rabbits,dingoes & cattle.
    I chose to camp on my own down by the water on the old river bank which normally has 15ft of water covering it. A nice flat area to roll the swag out & a fire place thanks to previous campers.
    With the camp picked out I decided to have a fish from the shore up towards the dam wall. A 20knot wind was blowing from the south so this seemed like the most comfortable location to start. I fished both sides of the dam wall for the last 2hrs of daylight for not even a touch. I fished spinner baits top water plugs, soft plastics & an array of barra minows. The closest I came to a fish was the 5 barra frames swinging in the wind from the brag tree near the boat ramp.
    The water was very cold & I was told the dam had just turned over!
    For those of you that arnt familiar with this term its where the decomposing layer of the bottom of the dam is lifted by gas causing the water to dirty. Dont quote me on the scienticic side of this, there would be better informed experts on this than myself.
    The end result is the fishing shuts down.
    Combine this with cold water & I knew this wasnt ment to be a fishy weekend.
    I went back to camp rolled the swag out & organised myself dinner. Everything looked good for a nice peaceful stay under the stars next to a raging camp fire. Too goo to be true!
    At 2am sunday morning I was woken by the sound of grass being torn from the ground by a mob of about 20 cattle not 15feet from my swag.
    At first I was anoyed not allarmed by their presence, that was untill I stood up and tried to moove them along. Lets just say my skills as a cattle man where not handed down by my father.
    The alfa male (bull) was not going to give up this patch of grass without a fight, so it was time to show him who's boss. I jumped in the Hilux 4x4 turned on the headlights & drove arround the camps site thinking he was no match for the shear mass and power of his apponent.
    Big mistake!
    I think this must have simulated feed time at the farm & more cattle ran over the hill towards the camp.
    I got out of the vehicle & stood my ground & the bull came strait towards me almost standing on my swag. It was at this exact moment I understood why the previous camper had left at such an early hour the day before.
    This was too be my fate as well, the bull had clearly won & I rolled the swag up & decided to head home.
    My word of advice for anyone visiting Wuruma, take an electric fence or a cattle prod!
    Cheers 4 now hope you enjoy the photo's.
    Toppy

Re: Wuruma Dam Report l

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4 brag tree

Sad to see the waterway in such a state. Can only pray for rain all round before summer hits.
    Too bad about the fishing but sounds like you still had an adventure

I remember fishing Wuruma years ago with a mate from Mundubbera, caught some real nice Yellowbelly on live crays. Was hoping to stop by up there later in the year but if there's been no rain probably won't bother.

a cattle prod scarry stuff great pics good to see somthing new never new the dame was there good read

born2fly, yep was an adventure alright. One I'll laugh about 4 some time.
    Does your mate still live in Mundubbera? most of my customers run farms there & Monto. I might know him or her!
    Totally agree about the rain, can't come soon enough for them. I'm told the last release from Cania is happening now & unless they get rain it wont happen again. Makes the alarm bells ring every time I turn on a tap!

smailesy, thanks mate!
    You should check out that area if you get a chance, its still got that rugged aussie apeal to it we all love, even in the state its in now.
    cheers
    Toppy

Hey guys have you seen the post by OLD Fart in the freshwater section?
    Its a sad sad storey with pics about Wuruma, just thought I'd mention it if you missed it.
    Loads of Big Barra & Silver Perch wasted.

Allways been a quiet dam to fish, as far as fishing pressure goes. Used to travel up there from Mundubbera myself, did allright most times. Shame to hear about the fish kill, but wouldn't stop me going there again when it all settles down.

Toppy, what business are you in? My dad ran a farm in Mundubbera, might know us.

Dave.

Hey Dave, I own a company that makes & repairs high pressure cleaners. Like spitwater Gerni etc......just better.
    I trade as Weno Pumps & my fathers company was Lato.
    We do a lot in the Burnett & Darling Downs, Pigs, Chickens & general farming.
    My family name is Topp in case we have crossed paths at some time, I've been in this game for 17years & my old man 30 years.
    I agree about Waruma, its hard to get an answer about the state of it now & if the fish continue to die. I guess most people are full of hot air & dont follow through with there intentions.
    I thought the post was about the poor state of the dam & fish dying!
    I must have different morals.
    Anyway I might see you on the water sometime, where are you based now Dave?
    I'm at Currumbin on the Gold Coast.
    Cheers 4 now
    Paul

Hey Dave, I own a company that makes & repairs high pressure cleaners. Like spitwater Gerni etc......just better.
    I trade as Weno Pumps & my fathers company was Lato.
    We do a lot in the Burnett & Darling Downs, Pigs, Chickens & general farming.
    My family name is Topp in case we have crossed paths at some time, I've been in this game for 17years & my old man 30 years.
    I agree about Waruma, its hard to get an answer about the state of it now & if the fish continue to die. I guess most people are full of hot air & dont follow through with there intentions.
    I thought the post was about the poor state of the dam & fish dying!
    I must have different morals.
    Anyway I might see you on the water sometime, where are you based now Dave?
    I'm at Currumbin on the Gold Coast.
    Cheers 4 now
    Paul

We need good rain everywhere , I'm on N.S.W Central Coast and it's not much better , our water supply dam around 15% at the moment a month ago was hovering at 10% until a bit of good rain over past couple weeks . What can you do , feel for the farmers etc that work the land for a living .
    Good pics though might be just the place to send the inlaws lol
    Cheers