Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $15 well spent

$15 well spent

I headed up to the recreational area on Wivenhoe dam that is leased by SEQ water to the local fishing club (Grand Wivenhoe fishing club), which I recently joined for $15 a year, BARGIN!
    Picked up the key from the ladies at the bar, got some directions(good idea) didn't listen (bad idea) then proceeded to drive half way to Kilcoy, hmm, not a good start. Back tracked, remember something about going past the tip, and a no through road, took the tip turn off, hmm, no through road, it was a tough call, but thought I'd go for it anyway. at the end of the sealed road there's a big sign, Sinamon Point recreational fishing area, woohoo, I found it. The key even fit the lock, so I continued onto the next gate, past the angry looking brahman cattle along the very rough track to the old river bed, that's right, no 6Km paddle to find deep water, launched straight into it. The bony bream were everywhere, flicking and splashing on the surface, a good sign.
    Rigged up and on the water about 3.30pm. Conditions were lovely, if a bit steamy, about 70% cloud cover, very little breeze, very flat water. headed 'up stream' trolling my killa bass/yella lure and a jackall tn60 at a leasurely pace.
    I have to remember to take the camera next time as this is a great bit of water to paddle. Heaps of turtles, birds, lung fish and cows all over the place.
    Went about 1km or so and crossed over the 'river' to try on the other side before turning back and tap tap zzzzzzz, turned around and started to play the fish in, got it right up near the yak and ... gone. Sad Gotta invest in some better quality hooks.
    Anyway, thought this an opportune time to turn back. Paddled back on the opposite side that I came up on, a few more hits, no hook ups, started to think this would end the same as yesterday, then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, this was promising, nice strong run then... nothing, dammit! I was getting close to the pumping station which is above some steep cliffs and looks very fishy, so paddled 'down stream' till I got to the end of the cliffs(no action), did a wide arc and started heading towards the pumping tower.
    Lots of birds in this area, pelicans, gulls and some bird of prey that I couldn't identify.
    The sun was starting to disappear behind the mountain and the clouds were looking a little ominous.
    As I neared the pumping tower I thought there must be plenty of room to go between it and the cliff, gotta be fish in there, was a bit scary, worried I might hook something I shouldnt as the jackall bounced off something a few times, or was that a fish, paddle paddle, nah, seems ok, then ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ lost a heap of line on the other rod, admittedly the drag was a little light, but wow I was worried the fish would take me around the tower, put some pressure on and it finally turned, and started swimming straight at me, danger time, took it easy and he turned again, but nearly had him at the kayak, took off again, this was exciting stuff, major spinal shivers and I could hear my heart beating! Reached around behind me and freed up my net, then I saw colour, a great looking little bass, pulled her up and into the net, too easy. Smile
    Thankfully the little beasty didn't struggle too much while I did some dental work and slipped her into the bag, but trolling back was an adventure with the fish trying it's hardest to knock itself out on the side of the yak hehe. Anyway, my first entry into the comp for a while. A lovely 41cm Aussie Bass.

Re: $15 well spent

Money well spent.

A day fishing is an extra day onto your life.

TREV
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Here's hoping, best value therapy there is too.

went back yesterday and got a nice yella. 49cms.

And again today...

Wow nice Karl good stuff mate...Might have to pop up there soon never caught a yella.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Wow nice Karl good stuff mate...Might have to pop up there soon never caught a yella.
    Always welcome mate, think I know a cheap motel too.

were do u join and can you camp there thanks

nathan_fishing

nice fish GOOD STORY!

Funny stuff Karl!
    Its always a good read with a bit of honest humour thrown in.
    I use to fish Wivenhoe heaps when I lived in Brisy & I found that the fish liked a much faster troll than other places.
    When you turn you often pick them up on the outside lure thats going the fastest.
    Anyway it sounds like you have it sussed!
    Cheers
    Toppy

Cheers Toppy, I'll keep that in mind. I'm getting a few with little effort, always be good to see a few swim away and take a feed home for the old girl as well.

luckyone, you can join by dropping into the Grand Hotel in Esk and filling out a form, then they'll post you out a info pack. There's normally no camping on the site, but they ocasionally have comps there during which a lot of members do camp in the designated area. The actual launch site is under a pastural lease, so there's cows everywhere, and no camping near the lake. toilet, bins etc are in a seperate fenced off area as you come off the road.
    club phone is 0429174263

hardb8

Hi canoedle,
    Is the area you speak of the ramp opposite Platypus Cliffs?

Cheers hardb8

Hiya Hardb8, no mate, this 'ramp' which really just a cleared bank is right up the top end of the dam behind Mount Esk. It's a looooooong way from platypus cliffs.

Great pics and fish looks like a nice spot I'm on N.S.W Central Coast I'll definately have to try to get up that way soon.
    Cheers

and someone upgraded from the ruler to the bragmat!!

good read/fish