Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monduran revisited

Monduran revisited

FRIDAY
    The trip and anticipation had been building for months and finally Friday morning arrived. So did Frank at 5.00 am to make the trek up to Lake Monduran. It all went well and the tinny slid into the water at 8.45 and we were off to catch Franks first Barra.
    We tried a few bays where I hadn’t fished before but didn’t raise a scale so it was off to the trusty Lantana holes where I had caught them previously. Keeping a close eye on the water temperature we noticed an increase of 1.5 degree and all of a sudden the water felt fishy. We were using RMG 125’s and casting right in tight to the snags when out of nowhere barra was doing the tail dancing thing with Frank’s lure hanging out of it’s gob. A couple of tense moments passed then a barra of 70 cm slid safely into the net.
    YEE HAA. Operation success. Franks first barra.
    Several hours passed without a fish but the water temp was increasing to around 25 so we were always anticipating fish.
    We found a large point in between two bays where the Lantana was really thick and my first cast in was engulfed by another barra about 70 cm. Not big but bloody good fun. My next cast into the next hole was also eaten and an identical fish was landed.
    A few shots and it was safely released to give my son/daughter a thrill when they grow up.
    We only landed one more fish for the day which was 73 cm.

SATURDAY
    Late start and brekkie on the deck over looking the water.
    Hit the water about 9 and went up the Lake to a spot which was firing during the week but couldn’t find any action-only found cold water, so it was back to the same spot as Friday.
    A few hours passed casting to likely snags but nothing so lunch was taken. Cold steak and snags and a couple of cold beers. Life is pretty good.
    Franks 1st cast after lunch was smashed by a huge fish which we only saw the back part of and the tail which was a foot wide!! But the hooks failed to find their mark.
    My next cast in to the same snag was also smashed ,the hooks held this time but the 50 lb braid got knitted around something and I was left standing on the deck looking dumbfounded holding a limp bit of line. SMOKED!!! Ah well at least we were getting some fish now. About 15 casts later a massive barra was tail walking all over the shop and I was attached. The action lasted about 3 minutes when he made a last ditched dive away from the net and under the boat, I turned him for the last time nearly into the net when the hooks pulled. Pretty disappointed but not much to say or do. Later on that day we found my lure which I got smashed on.
    We landed one more for the day which was on a Bills Bug. That was really exciting

SUNDAY MORNING
    Got up and out of the cabin at sparrows and we were off to the same spot. Frank had one follow and I got a really solid hit but this fish straightened my Owner ST-66 treble. Are they on steroids or what? We left and drove back home through the rain.

Re: Monduran revisited

73 cm

st-66

Great report Ben....and the smiles says it all Frank. Top stuff guys. Pity about the straightened Owner.....not much more you can really do. How pleasant is it eating brekky on the deck of the cabins!!! Just awesome. Was Frank gobsmacked by the power of some of these fish in the sticks?

Cheers
    Paul

Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Sounds like a good weekend, congratulations to Frank on his first barra. Its great to have a mate to show you the ropes.

Looking forward to our trip up there again at the end of the month.Taking my younger brother (50yrs old) up for his first impoundment barra.
    Has caught a few but that was in the NT when we both lived up there.

The fish can certainly make you look ordinary.

Doesn't matter what gear and how up market, it all comes down to the fisherman and the fish. The size doesn't matter, but the buzz is great.

Did you see or hear anything, to do with the fish holding ponds/pens that they were talking about.

Regards Trev

Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

sounds like yous had fun.
    well done

Frank_Oostenbroek

Barra Smarra,

Who cares about Barra.!!!!!!

These were my thoughts.......UNTIL!!!!

I just want to go again!!

Frank OO

mylestom- haven't heard anything about the fish pens, whats happening?
    Paul- Mate those cabins are top rate,hot showers, bbq on the deck, heaps of animal life it was great. Great advice again! Now cant wait for this weekend to see if i can land one of these arm stretching meter plus barra. Taking a mate from victoria there and he is so excited. I will update you on a few new nooks and crannies i found that were holding fish!

Nice work fellas and a top report!!
    Might have to get down there for a shot myself!!
    They sure are hard on the terminals, my first few trips to Awoonga saw me upgrading to the halco fish rings and heavy duty trebles, all you can do after that is hold on!!

Regards, Tony

Ben,

Great to hear you got amongst them. Those 70cm+ fish pull hard in the sticks but usually they manageable, like Mylestom said, there's a lot of if's and but's and gear failure - you can accept that but it's probably just as much what the fish does and how the angler reacts.
    Last year I can recall hooking a barra at Monduran that was on mega steriods. 5kg drag locked up and heaps of thumb burn. I've caught a few over the meter mark in thick timber in Faust and I immediately called this one for a metery. It probably only lasted a minute and after dragging him back and forth out of 3 different snags, finally landed a measily 785mm barra. I was shacking from the fight but somewhat more shocked at the size. I kep on saying it's the fight that thrills me more then the fish's size . One I caught at Faust (104cms) I landed in about 5-6seconds. Still yet to break the 90cm mark at Monduran. We too have been busted up heaps - last trip accounted for about 10 lures of which half floated back up after a few secs/minutes.

I guess sometimes, you never know the size from the fight BUT when a barra straightens ST-66 - IT"S A FREAKIN' MONSTER I have had a ST-66 straightened once before but that was retrieving it using a tackleback I did have a fish barely nudge my lure to the point were I wasn't even sure if it was a hit but when I reeled in and checked my trebles (VMC 6X's) one set was crushed (not straightened), all 3 of them - like in a vice ???

I reckon you hooked one of the better fish in Monduran. I know Brett (Stillwater) has caught fish in there up to 36/37kgs. I think he caught one in there about 20yrs ago that went 98cms so there are remnant wild stocks possibly still in there.

Anyway, will look out for your report after this weekend. GREAT STUFF.

Hey there Navi.
    Thanks for the help the other night.
    The barra that straightened those trebles nearlly ripped my rod out of my hands. It was so fast and violent just BANG he was on,2 real big head shakes underwater and straightened trebles. You take the best rod, reel, line, leaders lures and hardware and still you only land about 50%. How exciting is that!!!! I was saying to Frank that if they were easy you wouldn't bother chasing them. The more you go there the more you put the puzzle together. Your Awoonga trip will be awesome lost's of big mummas are being reported. I don't reckon you would be getting too much sleep at the moment with excitement.
    Those RMG halcos are a super lure at Monduran [havent been to Awoonga]. The king brown colour got all of my fish. I went out and bought another one yesterday just in case!!!!! The golds seem to work the best- It was a gold Killalure that i got smoked on and refound.

good stuff

Bundy_Burp

Great report and the photos are excellent
    Top Job

Bundy

Thanks Bundy
    They are taken with a canon slr. Dont know too much about it, its Franks and i just point and shoot.
    Ben

They are bloody great cameras Ben. I'm still getting the hang of mine but the pics are generally sharp and very detailed. Sometimes it's a pain changing the lens and adjusting the settings, but what's a minute out of your fishing trip to do that.

Expect some more great shots from your assault on Monduran this weekend (if Frank lets you borrow his SLR that is). They can even make 70cm look like a metre I believe

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"