Thread: aplins

aplins

headed to alpins weir for my first flick in the fresh since last summer yesterday arvo. ended up with 6 bara 3 bout 30cm and 3 50-60cm. i hooked two larger fish (probably 80 or so cm) but the hook bent on both occasions. all fish were caught on 70mm drop bear fish squidgies. i was only fishing for about half an hour so definetly my best session so far.

you other townsville guys let me know where your catchin fish

cheers
    mick

Re: aplins

Good going, love barra on sp's, just adds to the sport of it on the single hook.

Where is that weir located mate?

Mick,
    Great session by the sound of it.

I agree the fish are definitely on the chew at the moment and it pays to be geared up for the big girls!!

Pic below of one caught recently using a squidgy slick rig 110mm in drop bear colour up at blacks.

Cheers
    Matt C

thats a nice lokking barra

Herby13,
    its the first weir up the ross in townsville.

Matt C,
    how do you deal with the weed? i find if the lure goes down below 2 ft or so it ends up with weed on it. do you fish your lure above the weed or work it through it?

cheers
    mick

Mick,

I try to find gaps or channels in the weed and work those edges. I normally find barra are sitting in those holes or are uptight against the weed edge. Another thing I try is retreiving the lure over shallow weed beds and then pausing and letting it drop into deeper water when you've reached the edge.
    Working just the shallow weed beds is best at lowlight periods, sunup (before dawn) , dusk and at night. They can also be effective on cooler days when the barra are chasing some warmer water.

That's been my experience
    Matt

Great Barra