Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Awoonga yesterday!!

Awoonga yesterday!!

Headed out to Awoonga in the wee hours of yesterday morning, took my wife Sandi out for her first shot at a freshwater barra. Beautiful conditions, calm and moonlit (until the early cloud came up). Had an absolute ball, got my first meter plus freshwater mumma!! . Dropped a few fish, one other nice one got me by ploughing into the weeds, so deep I could not pull it out, ended up pulling the hooks We dropped afew small ones and managed about a half a dozen between about 65-70cm. Sandi got her first couple of freshwater fish, and was exstatic with the whole experience!!
    Here are a few of the photos

Re: Awoonga yesterday!!

Fat mumma on a mat

Sandi's first

Sandi's second

Another small one

All fish where caught by casting toward structure and carefully released in the quickest time possible. The big girl was treated with the utmost care being very carefully supported under the body with no pressure to the head-neck at any time. Hopefully all will be available to be caught again at another time.

Regards.............Tony

Top effort Tony. Very wise taking the mrs out and getting her hooked - endless fishing trips for you mate. Get her a metre fish though and it's worth gold.

Good to hear that you treating your fish well as I plan on hooking the metre one that you caught in a few weeks time - with countless others. Spending a week up there.

It's all good mate.

they are great fish hope to fish that dam real soon great pics mate

Black Sheep

Tony always has had the advantage of endless fishing trips. They are called "Research & development".

The only problem we have is being able to get out of the shop together for extented periods, but Josh came to the rescue this time. Hopefully he'll do it again soon as I'm keen as mustad to catch that metre one. I'll have to wait till my wrist stops aching though I've got casters ache at the moment.

Regards Sandi

DECKA_@_NOOSA

HI SANDY AND JACK HEADIND UP THERE NEXT MONTH DECIDING IF TO GO ON THE FULL MOON ANY CLUES ....NIGHT OR EARLY MORNING ....LURES OR PLASTICS...NEVER CAUGHT AN AWOONGA BARRA

REGARD DECKA

I saw the full size pics today and the ones posted here don't do justice to the actual size ( fat/ girth ) of the big girl.

Top effort guys, ya gotta like it when a plan comes together and a very nice start to the season.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Nice one Tony and Sandi, great photos, cheers.

Holy crap that fish is fatter tham me! Congrats to the both of you all nice fish

Quote Originally Posted by chicken
    Holy crap that fish is fatter tham me! Congrats to the both of you all nice fish
    2 of them side by side would still be smaller than you you fat chook

Hey Sandi,

I know exactly how you feel. The barra cramp Every trip we do is the same - after about the 4th day of casting heavy lures and violently twitchin 'em back, my wrists and forearms feel like the would drop off if I hooked another fish but somehow, the adrenalin kicks in and you manage to get a second wind - great fun.

I have actually been in training the few weeks trying to condition my hands to cope with the fatigue factor by casting in the pool at home and squeezing one of those hand grip things to strenthen my forearms - pretty sad hey.

Keep putting in the hours Sandi and I'm sure you'll get that metre fish and maybe even beat Tony's record